Chapter 5 - Dubiety

-

.- ... .- . .-..

"Perhaps I shouldn't have worn heels."

"Or I should invest in an elevator for the mansion."

Rafa chuckles as she grips my hand and takes the final step to the third floor. "Would Sir Mike approve of that?"

"Trust me, I already tried," I say with a smile. "Dad would never want his precious home to be tarnished with too much modernism."

Rafa's eyes widen, and I purse my lips, glancing away and leading her onward.

"Don't tell him I said that, though."

"I won't." Her soft, silvery voice glides in the air, a slight giggle lingering by the end of it.

As soon as I got back earlier, Docker made me a huge solid by getting some of our peers to vouch for me in case Dad insisted on where I was. Unsurprisingly and as expected, he did. Thanks to my crew at work, who always got my back, I got off the hook without any issues.

And as the night grew deep, my parents and Remi pushed me into taking Rafa to her room in the mansion. I thought I'd have to keep my 'good son' act, but the fact that Rafa's room was on the third floor opened up a lighthearted exchange between us.

We stop by the last door on the left side—the room just below mine.

I unlock the door, handing the key over to Rafa as she pushes the door open.

"Thank you for escorting me here," she says, turning her head toward me, our hands still joined.

"And thank you for the wonderful night." I give a small smile.

Her grip on my hand tightens as she looks down. "Asael, I want to tell you something."

"What is it?"

"I'm... I'm..." Rafa purses her lips, then sighs and meets my gaze. "I'm... a trans woman."

I open my mouth and then close it. She looks so determined and poised, but I can see the nervousness in her eyes.

With a short internal debate, I nod and whisper, "I know."

"Remilie told you, didn't she?"

"Yeah, last night. She said you wanted her to tell me."

Rafa nods. "That's right. But I wanted to tell you myself, too. I.. wanted to see.." Her voice tones down. "..your reaction."

Nothing comes to me. I don't know how to react when I already know. I'm glad she told me, really. But what else?

"Does it bother you?"

"No, it doesn't." I shake my head slowly. "Don't worry."

Of course not. If anything here bothers me, it's what the future holds for us. For her. For me.