4.

The darkness engulfs me like a cloak, both familiar and menacing. I stand in the heart of an unfamiliar alley, its brick walls towering above me like watchful guards. In the distance, flickering neon signs cast eerie shadows that seem to move with sinister intent. My hand instinctively reaches for my .38 revolver, but it's not there. Panic creeps in as I realize I am defenseless in this dark abyss. Something is wrong, but I can't quite grasp the details.

A figure emerges from the shadows, its features hidden by the thick inky murk.

"Lily," I call out, trying to find familiarity in this foreign place. But my voice echoes off the walls and fades into nothingness.

"You shouldn't have come here, Vic," Lily whispers, her words barely audible. "This place is cursed, haunted by the sins of those who came before us."

"Who? Who haunts this place?" I plead for answers, but she only shakes her head.

For a fleeting moment, a glimmer of recognition flickers in the depths of her dark eyes. But just as quickly, it vanishes, snuffed out with a turn of her heel.

The alley begins to twist and warp around me, the bricks melting into a swirling vortex of colors and shapes. The ground beneath my feet turns to quicksand, pulling me down into its depths. I struggle to break free, but the more I fight, the faster I sink.

"Lily!" I cry out, reaching for her, but she's fading, her form dissolving into the kaleidoscopic maelstrom.

Memories flood my mind with the force of a hurricane, relentless and sharp. They hit me from every direction, like invisible shrapnel tearing through my thoughts. The Morrison case, Eleanor, Councilman Reyes—they all blend together in a jumble, flashing through my consciousness like a twisted collage, a nightmarish montage. Brief glimpses of a bloody crime scene flash before me, each photo connected by strands of scarlet yarn, forming a wicked web of mystery.

In the midst of it all, one face stands out, its features obscured beyond recognition. I try to remember the name attached to this face, but it eludes me when I try to speak it aloud. Eleanor, Reyes, Morrison: they are all linked in some way that I can feel deep in my bones. But the more I try to connect them, the more they remain scattered pieces of an unsolvable puzzle.

The vortex around me begins to spin faster, the colors blurring into a dizzying whirlpool. Whispers rise from the depths, a cacophony of voices that seem to be trying to tell me something. I strain to make out the words, but they remain just beyond my grasp, like a half-remembered dream slipping away upon waking.

"What are you trying to show me?" I shout into the void, my voice swallowed by the chaos. "What do you want from me?"

A chill wind whips through the alley, carrying with it the scent of betrayal and death. Gasping for breath, I push myself to run faster, my heart pounding in my chest. Lily's hand slips from mine as we round a corner, the alley stretching on endlessly before us. Shadows loom on either side, their sinister shapes dancing in the dim light. Panic grips me as I realize we are trapped, the darkness closing in around us like a tightening noose.

The shadows begin to take form, morphing into grotesque figures with glowing eyes and grasping claws. They reach for me, their touch icy and draining, as if they're feeding on my very essence. I try to fight them off, but my blows pass through them like smoke. They're not just shadows, I realize with a sinking feeling. They're manifestations of my own guilt, my own doubts and fears given form.

"Is this what you wanted me to see?" I scream, my voice raw with desperation. "Is this the truth I'm meant to uncover?"

The figures close in around me, their whispers turning to a deafening roar. I can feel myself slipping away, my mind unraveling like a spool of thread. And then, just as I'm about to be consumed by the darkness, a piercing scream shatters the illusion like glass.

I surface, drenched in sweat and gasping for air. Feeble light filters through the half-closed blinds, casting distorted bars of shadows against the walls, like the bars of a phantom cage, trapping me within the confines of my own mind.

I struggle to compose myself, pushing back the tendrils of fear that threaten to engulf me. The scream continues to echo in my ears, a haunting reminder of what I had tried so desperately to forget. With trembling hands, I reach for the glass on the nightstand. But even as I drink, the memory lingers, refusing to be silenced. The image of her face, contorted in terror, flashes before my eyes, a cruel taunt from my subconscious. I know I can't continue like this, living in the shadow of that dreadful night. It's time to confront my demons once and for all.

"What the hell was that?" I mutter to myself, my mind reeling from the surreal nightmare. Was it just a dream, or was it something more? A message, a warning, a glimpse into a truth I'm not ready to face?

I shake my head, trying to clear the cobwebs. Whatever it was, one thing is clear: Seraphina's potion has opened a door in my mind, and what's behind it is far from pleasant. The question is, do I have the courage to step through and face what lies on the other side?

"Rough night?"

Lily's voice washes over me like a soothing balm, her presence a comforting anchor amidst the storm of my thoughts. How did she get here? I don't remember inviting her. I don't remember going out, either. Were we together? I struggle to recall, my memories fragmented and disjointed.

"I've had better," I rasp, exhaustion weighing heavily on my words. I sit up, heart still hammering in my chest, the remnants of the dream clinging to my consciousness like stubborn cobwebs. The room is achingly familiar: blinds askew, paint peeling, a rumpled coat strewn carelessly over a chair. It's my room, but... how did I end up here?

"You don't remember, do you?" she asks softly, although I never voiced the question. But that's one of the things I love about Lily—well, I love it unless it's driving me nuts. She's always been able to read me like a book. Slowly, I shake my head, feeling a wave of unease wash over me.

Lily rises gracefully, dispersing the remnants of the nightmare like dust from an ancient tome. "You need to take better care of yourself, Vic," she says, her gaze piercing mine with an intensity that sends shivers down my spine.

"Lily... Baby, please, wait," I plead as she heads to the door.

"I can't stay, Vic." She pauses, her hand lingering on the doorknob. "And you need to rest."

"But—"

The words catch in my throat, choked by a tongue too heavy for my mouth.

As I gaze into Lily's warm, familiar eyes, fragments of other memories begin to drift back to me like scattered puzzle pieces slowly falling into place. Flashes of laughter shared under twinkling stars, tender embraces in the soft glow of candlelight, stolen kisses in the shadows of forgotten alleyways. The realization dawns on me: Lily is not just a passerby in the chaotic whirlwind of my life; she is my anchor, my guiding light through the labyrinth of my shattered memories.

"It's alright, Vic. We'll figure it out together," she reassures, even as her presence fades from the room like a wisp of smoke.

But there's no time for rest, not when shadows hold secrets waiting to be uncovered. As I change into my clothes, my mind races with countless possibilities, each one more confounding than the last. The dream could be a warning, but I've never been one to back down from a challenge, not when the stakes are this high.

Although I desperately want to believe that I'm not alone in this twisted game, as dawn breaks and casts long shadows across the room, I can't shake the feeling that things will only get worse. Somewhere deep within my fractured mind lies the key to unlocking this tangled mystery.

Right now, however, what I need to put myself to rights is a plate of grease and a pot of strong coffee. The Bullseye Diner just down the street should do the trick.

My hand's on my coat when screeching tires and gunshots shatter the silence, followed by a woman's terrified screams.