12.

Eleanor's spell unleashes an explosion of darklight, a chaotic blast that threatens to tear the fabric of reality into a kaleidoscope of fragmented dimensions. A whirlwind of shadows and disjointed memories assaults my mind with an unfathomable power. Just when I think I can't take any more, the maelstrom suddenly ceases, leaving me standing on a slick, rain-soaked street that inexplicably feels familiar. Disorientation overwhelming me, I scramble to make sense of my surroundings before the next wave of arcane chaos consumes me.

That's when I see it—Councilman Reyes' sleek black car gliding through the night like a shark cutting through dark waters. An inexplicable compulsion seizes me, and I follow that car, my feet moving of their own accord.

The car leads me through a labyrinth of alleyways before finally coming to a stop near the Langston Warehouse. Reyes emerges, his features obscured by the shadows as he hurries inside. I trail after him, my heart pounding as I slip through the door and into the cavernous gloom.

Whispers and murmurs echo from deeper within the dimly lit warehouse, beckoning me forward like a siren's call. My footsteps make almost no sound as I creep closer, my body pressed against cold metal crates and rusted machinery, staying hidden from view. The voices grow louder and clearer, forming into a tense conversation. My heart races as I strain to make out every word, afraid of being discovered at any moment.

The moon hangs low in the sky, casting its bleary glow through broken windows over the scene before me. My eyes strain to make out the shapes of Morrison, Lily, and Reyes standing together, their figures silhouetted against the darkness. Despite the distance between us, I can feel the closeness between them—their bodies almost touching, their voices hushed in conversation. A wave of conflicting emotions washes over me, jealousy burning hot in my gut as confusion clouds my thoughts. Why is Lily here with him?

Lily's words are barely a whisper, her voice straining under the weight of her emotions. "I can't keep living like this," she confesses, her eyes filled with pain. "The lies, the deceit, it's tearing me apart."

Morrison's hand reaches out to gently stroke her cheek, his touch showing a tenderness that makes my blood boil. "It won't be much longer, my love," he assures her. "No one will ever know. Once we have what we need, I'll help you escape. To a new life, a better life far away from here." He says something else after that, but I can't make out the words.

When Lily leans into his touch, I feel the world shatter around me. The intimacy between them is palpable, their whispered promises sounding like a symphony of betrayal. It's clear that whatever exists between them runs deep—deeper than I ever could have imagined.

A sudden jolt runs through Morrison's body, causing him to freeze in place. His hand instinctively reaches for his gun as his gaze darts into the shadows. "We're not alone here, boss," he hisses between gritted teeth.

In a flash of movement, both Morrison and Reyes have their weapons drawn, aimed at something in the darkness with deadly precision. The tension in the air is thick and suffocating, shattered only by the deafening sound of their heavy breaths echoing in the silence. Every muscle in their bodies is taut, ready to face impending danger.

"Reveal yourself!" Morrison's voice booms, filled with unbridled rage. "Step into the light and face me, or meet your end in the shadows." But Lily, who's already glimpsed what lurks in the darkness, lets out a sharp gasp. Her eyes widen in terror as she clutches her hand over her mouth, her complexion draining of all color until she resembles a ghostly specter herself.

The next moments unfold in a blur of chaos and gunfire. Morrison and Reyes both unleash a barrage of bullets, each shot reverberating like thunder in the confined space. I lunge forward, my heart racing as I desperately try to reach Lily, to shield her from the impending danger. But before I can even touch her, it's too late. The deafening sound of gunshots fills my ears and the pungent smell of gunpowder stings my nostrils. Time seems to slow down as I watch in horror as Lily is struck by a bullet, her body rag-dolling to the ground like a marionette with its strings cut. My blood runs cold and my mind races as I try to comprehend what just happened.

As the acrid smoke dissipates, my eyes adjust to the dim light and I see them lying on the ground. Morrison, Reyes, and Lily—my former partner, my trusted friend, and the woman I loved. My throat tightens as I take in their lifeless bodies, their clothes soaked with blood. I stumble towards Lily and kneel beside her, my trembling hands reaching out to touch her cold skin. Tears blur my vision as I remember her laughter and the way she used to wrap her arms around me. Now, all that remains is betrayal and grief as I cradle her motionless form. But even that I'm not allowed. As I pull her close, the world around me fades away, dissolving like a watercolor painting left to dissolve in the rain.

As the vision releases its hold on me, I am suddenly thrust back into the present moment. The cold, hard concrete of the warehouse floor greets me as I gasp for air, trying to make sense of what I have just witnessed.

My body trembles as I push myself up from the ground, my mind racing to process the devastating revelation that has been thrust upon me. My dear Lily, tangled in a web of deceit with Reyes and Morrison. Lily, who deceived me, wanted to leave me, and lied to me for reasons I still cannot fathom, now dead alongside them both.

The truth is like a bitter poison, seeping through my veins and corroding me from within. Every breath feels like a struggle, as if the weight of this knowledge is crushing me under its heavy burden. Tears burn behind my eyes and my heart feels like it's being ripped in two. How could I have been so blind to her betrayal? The shock and pain threaten to consume me completely.

Eleanor strides over to me, features carefully composed and betraying no emotion. "Now you see, Vic. The truth is rarely pretty. But at least now you know," she says, her voice echoes through the gathering shadows. "The person responsible for these heinous crimes, the vicious killer you've been looking for all along...is you."