Chapter 3: Infliction

Rhazien felt a heavy burden on his mind as he tried to dismiss the words that the director had spoken to him earlier

Rhazien felt a heavy burden on his mind as he tried to dismiss the words that the director had spoken to him earlier. They lingered in the back of his mind like a haunting melody that refused to leave, the same way the whisky had left a tainted yet bitter taste on his tongue. His words felt like a poison that had seeped into his system, making him feel uneasy and restless. They continued to gnaw at him despite his attempts to push them aside. The question tested his morals. It was as if someone stood in his shadow, clawing at the back of his neck, gnawing and tearing the sensitive flesh. What if he meets the same end as Van Helsing? What if he had to abandon his morals of right and wrong?

Can you protect the kid from yourself?

"Typical. . ." Rhazien murmurs. With an unwavering resolve, Rhazien vows to himself to complete the task no matter what obstacles lay in his path. It didn't matter if he put himself in harm's way if that's what it takes to see it through to the end.

Rhazien's leather boots echoed through the silent hallway. The checkered floor beneath him amplified each step, emphasizing each passing second. He couldn't help but think about the contingent he had just received and how it would allow him to prosper in ways he never thought possible. As he walked, he began to slow his pace, stopping in the midst of a doorway next to him.

As soon as he stepped into the empty waiting room, his eyes fell on the boy he had rescued earlier. The child sat there, alone and distraught, his eyes red and swollen from crying. He attempted to keep his sobs hushed, but they escaped from his quivering lips and echoed quietly through the room, ripping apart Rhazien's heart into shreds. Rhazien's chest burned with guilt; he could feel the weight of the boy's pain and the depth of his sadness as it was etched into his face. He was drowning, and Rhazien knew it. It was a matter of time before his suffering turned into numbness, leading him further down the void of empty emotions.

Rhazien sucked in a breath, making a steady pace toward the child before crouching down in front of him. His emerald green eyes were heavy with emotion, and he could not bring himself to meet Rhazien's gaze. Instead, he looked down at the wooden floor, taking in the intricate patterns of the grain as if seeking solace in the natural world. The silence between them was palpable, broken only by the soft sound of their breathing and the occasional creak of the floorboards. Despite his reluctance to make eye contact, there was a deep sadness in his eyes that spoke volumes about the pain he was feeling.

"Hang in there," Rhazien whispers, leaning slightly closer. His gaze remained soft as he studied the conflicted emotions contorting the child's features. The child hadn't said a word to Rhazien since his mother's death. He knew the boy's love for his mother was stronger than the war of emotions waging inside his head, something absent from Rhazien's life.

Slowly, the boy raises his head. His broken gaze remained lifeless as the wax of his tears stained his pale cheeks raw.

"Listen, I know the road ahead might be tough, but I want you to know you're not alone. I'll do everything in my power to keep you safe. You have my word on that," a faint smile ghosts Rhazien's lips as his thumb wipes away the remaining tears beneath the child's lower eyelids.