16 : 'You make it kinda hard not to stare'

CHAPTER 16

XAVIER QUINN

I was working on a project to help Dad. He is trying to teach me work so that I don't have any problem adjusting later.

My phone rang, I looked at the caller id... Dad.

"Yes, Dad." I answered.

"Did you check the email I sent you?" He questioned.

"I did. There are a few things I wanted to add. I'll send it after editing then you can tell me if they are alright."

"Do that but I called you for a reason." I knew something bad was coming.

"What?"

"Your college emailed me your scores of the database subject and they are too low Xavier." I remained quiet, he continued "It's 5 on 20."

"It was just a class test, Dad." I reasoned.

"I don't need reasons from you Xavier. I don't care if it's a class test or a surprise test, you have to score well, you need to be at the top."

"Yes, Dad."

"I don't want a bad performance from you."

"Yes, Dad."

He remained silent for a while then asked "Is there anything wrong, Xavier? Any problems you are facing for which you are unable to focus on your studies."

"No Dad, I was just too engrossed in this company project... nothing else."

"Then adjust your time. Stop wasting your time with your friends."

"Yeah."

He hung up with that.

I leaned back against the couch, with my eyes closed and took a deep breath.

This has been my whole life. Miserable.

Dad calls but never asks if I am doing well or not. He cares about my studies and about his company. Mum calls everyday to ask me if I am good, I can't tell my problem to her she would worry herself.

I know everybody wants the best for me but they are just suffocating me. Everyone expects a lot from me, I don't want to let anyone down. I am just 21, I want to have fun in my life, I want to enjoy my college like others but I can't.

Picking up the coffee cup, I made my way towards the balcony and just stared outside taking sips from the coffee. Though I was trying to make myself calm, my mind was distracted. I was continuously checking my phone for any notification but there was none from the person I wanted.

When I saw her crying today, my heart just broke. She was crying like a baby, her face had turned red, eyes puffy. She was crying a mess. When she saw me, it looked like she was embarrassed, she was continuously trying to wipe her tears but nothing helped her from crying.

I didn't want to embarrass her because I know what I do to her so my idea was to go where Ashton and Brody were but I couldn't leave her there in the rain. She was already drenched in water and I didn't want her to get sick.

I wanted to embrace her in my arms. I had this urge to console her, listen to everything she had to say but I couldn't. I ended us myself.

Again my phone rang, I looked at the id... Brody.

"Yep."

"What are you doing?" He asked sounding so fucking excited.

"Just staring outside blankly and drinking coffee."

"I have good news for you."

"What news?"

"FIFA is starting tomorrow dude!!! And we are so watching it at your place."