Chapter 37

As Sarim drove through the quiet streets on this dark night, Kubra stared out of the car window, lost in her thoughts. The happiness from Rafey and Uswa's wedding still lingered in her mind.

Kubra felt a bit uneasy. Even though Sarim was kind and tried to make her happy, there was a quiet gap between them.

Kubra sensed that something was bothering Sarim. They weren't living the happy, connected life she had imagined. She could feel him pulling away.

While the city lights passed by, Kubra's mind was full of questions. Why was Sarim acting distant? What was bothering him? But she was too afraid to ask. Her own insecurities kept her from speaking up, even though the words were on the tip of her tongue.

The car continued through the night, the soft hum of the engine matching the subdued feeling inside. Kubra looked at Sarim, his face now guarded and different. The silence between them felt heavy, and Kubra wished she could understand why things had changed. Why has he changed. Kubra wanted to close the gap between her and Sarim.

•••

Kubra had changed and was sitting on the bed, waiting for Sarim, who was locked in his study room for some reason. As soon as he returned home, he received a call, and since then, he has been in the study room.

Now, Kubra was feeling sleepy and was about to lie down when she became alert at the sound of the door opening. She saw Sarim entering.

"Kya hua? Sab theek hai?" Worry was evident on Sarim's face, which caught Kubra's attention, and she immediately asked.

(What happened? Is everything okay?)

"Haan, Talha bhai ki call thi." Sarim casually said and lay down on his side.

(Yes, it was Talha bhai's call.)

Kubra kept looking at his back for a while, hoping Sarim would turn towards her, say something, but it didn't happen. Eventually, Kubra also lay down, turning her face to the other side.

On the first few days of their marriage, Sarim's behaviour towards her was good, as if they were trying to understand each other. But now, from a few days, or maybe since Rafey's wedding functions started, there was an odd silence between Sarim and her. Kubra was left contemplating on her own, unable to ask Sarim anything or complain to him for his behaviour.

Perhaps Sarim didn't like Kubra going to her house repeatedly? Or was there some other reason?

Kubra remembered what Sarim told her. "Rahi baat mohabbat ki, toh woh bhi tumhe mujhse ho jayegi."

Now, she truly started loving Sarim. Marriage is such a thing; it creates a soft corner in your heart for the other person, and when this softness turns into love, who can tell? Now that Kubra wanted to walk on the path of love with Sarim, why did he change his behaviour?

•••

After the walima, Minal was now heading home. Burhan and Minal were meeting everyone at home, and Zara was placing her belongings in the car. When Shahzaib came, he took her hand and led her to the other side of the car, away from prying eyes.

"Shahzaib, yeh kya hai?" Zara was astonished by his unusually formal demeanour. Shahzaib had never dared such boldness before today.

(Shahzaib, what are you doing?)

"Main kya sunn raha hoon, Zara? Tumhara rishta kissey tay hua hai?" Shahzaib's voice carried a significant amount of pain, with a mixture of anxiety and hope in his eyes. He had heard Tabu and Minal, but he still couldn't believe Zara's marriage had been finalized. He held onto the hope that Zara might refuse this.