Chapter 4

It has been two weeks, or perhaps even longer, since that unforgettable incident happened

It has been two weeks, or perhaps even longer, since that unforgettable incident happened. After fainting in my brother's arms, I regained consciousness to find myself lying on a hospital bed. Since then, I haven't asked about the whereabouts of that man. Is he still at his home, wearing a smile and plotting his next target? Or is he facing the consequences for his actions?

Consequences... shouldn't I face them too? For everything I have done? For the choices I made in the past few years?

A dry chuckle escapes my lips. Perhaps, I am already facing the consequences. Trapped in my own room, spending my days silently gazing at the ceiling, unable to find my own voice. After all, I deserve this punishment.

As I mentioned, here I am, in my room, sprawled on the floor with my hands splayed around me, my eyes fixated on the motionless ceiling. Only my mind remains active, engaging in conversations with itself. And my heart? I can no longer feel its presence.

My mom keeps trying to take me out of my room, but I keep refusing. I just can't face my family or the outside world. I don't have the courage to face anyone. Another tear escapes my eyes, tracing its path down my temple until it reaches the ground. My eyes don't even ache from crying anymore. They're used to it.

I tilt my head up a bit, looking over at the window. The sky begins to regain its light, the sun is rising. I squeeze my eyes shut, desperately trying to fall asleep, to escape this reality, to escape the haunting memories of that night. But as always, I can't fall asleep. I can't even remember the last time I had a proper sleep. Oh, how I've pushed myself into this miserable state!

All of a sudden, I catch a faint sound-my mom's voice echoing from outside my door. It's as if she's saying something to me. I crawl towards the door and press my back against it. Gradually, her voice becomes clear. She's sitting right on the other side, reciting the Quran. I close my eyes and just listen to her beautiful recitation. Oh, why does it feel so peaceful? Is this the peace I've been searching for all these years? I can feel something in my heart, as if I'm being enveloped by a gentle, comforting warmth.

"You're not just going against your parents, but against everything"

My mom's words echo in my mind. Every single word is crystal clear now. It was never about them trying to control me; it was about guiding me towards the path I wasn't yet ready to choose. Oh, how blind I was! Blind in the love that never regarded me as anything more than a tool, a love that shamelessly exploited my emotions.

My hands clutch my knee as I bury my face in it, tears streaming down uncontrollably. The weight of guilt consumes me from within. What have I done to myself?

Abruptly, my mom's voice seeps through the door. "Remember, He is the most merciful." Her words slowly calm my cries. "Don't lose hope," she adds.

I nod, even though she can't see me, I just want to express how desperately I want to fix everything, to mend what's broken.

I slowly stand up and walk over to the mirror, trying to wipe away the tears. A faint chuckle escapes my throat as I gaze at my reflection. "I look like a zombie," I mutter under my breath.