Chapter 9

After ending my conversation with Nida, I carefully set my phone aside and return my focus to the food in front of me

After ending my conversation with Nida, I carefully set my phone aside and return my focus to the food in front of me. I glance up, only to find Adam's intense gaze fixed upon me. His eyes momentarily flit towards my phone before returning to meet mine. "Are you alright?"

I quickly nod while slowly chewing my food. "Yes, I am,"

Suddenly, the sound of the doorbell grabs our attention, causing Adam to rise from his chair to check. I remain seated, my eyes following his every move towards the main door. "Surprise!" I hear the voice of Adam's mom as soon as he swings the door open. "Mom, Dad?" Adam says, shifting slightly to make room for them to enter. This time, I clearly see his parents.

I get up from my chair, making my way towards Adam's parents with a slight smile. "Assalamu Alaikum," I greet them, capturing their attention. Both of them return my smile, and I watch as Adam's mom approaches me. I have met Adam's dad numerous times before my marriage, as he is my boss, more precisely the company's Chairman. But my encounters with Adam's mom were limited to just a few occasions.

Meeting them again at my wedding, but this time as my father and mother-in-law, felt surreal. "I know we just met today at your wedding, but we wanted to come and see you again before we head home. I hope we're not disturbing you," Adam's mom says, enveloping me in a warm embrace.

I swiftly shake my head, assuring her, "It's absolutely fine, Aunty. I'm happy that you came."

"Still calling me Aunty? Girl, I've told you before to call me Mom," she responds, her giggles reverberating against my body. "Come, let's have a seat," she adds, breaking the hug and leading me to the couch in the living room, her hand gently intertwined with mine. I settle beside her, while Adam and his father assume their positions on the adjacent couch.

We chat about all sorts of things for the next half an hour until Adam's mom notices the henna on my hand. She slowly grasps it, her eyes drawn to the henna adorning my skin. "The henna is beautifully done," she says.

"Oh! I can see something here," she adds. I glance down at my hand, where her gaze is fixed. "Adam..." She's staring at Adam's name adorned with henna on my hand.

"Adam, your name looks so beautiful on her hand," she says, chuckling softly. My eyes instinctively dart back to Adam, who looks surprised as his gaze lands on my hand. He doesn't even blink, just stares at it, and then suddenly looks up at me. I don't know why, but I suddenly feel nervousness crawling up my body as I realize that he has now discovered his name on my hand.

"It's getting late, we should head out. And you both should get some rest," Adam's dad's abrupt voice drags us out of our world, causing our eyes to shift towards him. "Oh yes. We should leave now," Adam's mom adds, rising from her seat. She embraces me once again and places a gentle kiss on my forehead. We watch as they walk out of the house, leaving Adam and me alone once again.

He closes the door and turns to face me. There's an awkward silence between us and neither of us know what to say.

"I... I should go back," I somehow blurt out and without wasting another moment, I make my way to his room.

I fan myself as I pace back and forth.

Why does it feel so embarrassing?

It's alright, he just saw his name on my hand, and he was bound to see it at some point anyway.

There's no need to overthink this.

I stroll over to the dressing table, removing the hair clip from my hair, causing my hair to tumble messily down my back. As I reach for the comb, my hand collides with the small flower vase precariously perched on the corner of the table. It wobbles on the edge and just as it's about to fall, another hand swiftly grabs it, halting my own hand in midair.

I look up and meet Adam's gaze, his eyes shifting from the vase to meet mine. "Careful," he whispers.

I hear the faint sound of the vase being placed back on the table by him, but my eyes remain on his intense stare. He finally sets the vase down, his eyes still locked with mine.

I lean back, my back pressed against the dressing table, my hands gripping it tightly. He stands just an inch away from me, close enough that I can feel his every breath. I swallow hard, aware of how this proximity is affecting him.

(After searching a lot I finally found a picture that matched the scene 90%😭)

I wish I never had any experiences with these feelings before. I wish I was clueless. I wish I could be oblivious to every reaction, every breath, every little detail of how he's reacting to me. But I know. I know it all. I know how deeply this situation is affecting him, how his intense gaze, every little move, is sending chills down my spine. I know exactly where this proximity is taking us.

His eyes remain fixed on me, unwavering.

"Why do you always look at me like that?" I blurt out, the words escaping before I can even think.

His hands firmly rest on the dressing table, trapping me between his strong arms. "Like what?"

This is the closest I can get to gazing into his eyes. His eyes... His eyes are incredibly gentle, captivating, and have an electrifying intensity that I can't even describe. His gaze remains fixed on me as I respond, "Like, I'm someone precious, someone you yearn to shield from any harm."

"And someone I couldn't bear to lose," he whispers against my lips, right after I finish speaking.

I feel something deep within my heart, something soothing, something comforting, and something dangerously intoxicatingly warm.

The distance between us is so close that even a slight misstep could bring our lips together.

I might be aware of the situation between us now, I might be aware of the feelings between us now, I might be aware of his reaction now, but his words? The words he just said? What do they mean? How can he be so confident about those words as if... as if they were never unfamiliar... as if they were always within him, hidden deep down?