Chapter 12

I sit in front of the mirror, clutching the hairdryer as it glides through my damp hair

I sit in front of the mirror, clutching the hairdryer as it glides through my damp hair. This morning, I received a call from Habiba. She invited me and Adam to dinner at her house and I must admit, I'm excited about it. 

Habiba is honestly a sweet person. I've never been particularly close to her in the past, or to anyone in my family. Obviously it's because I was always caught up in a relationship that didn't deserve my time and energy and I ended up making so many wrong decisions along the way.

I place the hair dryer back in its spot, give my dry hair a quick comb and head downstairs. Soon a delectable aroma fills the air, drawing my attention to the kitchen where I find Adam fully immersed in cooking. 

My eyes involuntarily drop to his hands, skillfully chopping some vegetables. The sleeves of his shirt are neatly rolled up, exposing the sinewy veins that trace intricate patterns across his hands.

His fingers glide effortlessly across the vegetables, while his other hand slices through them with absolute precision. He's got some seriously good skills.

My gaze travels upward, capturing the sight of a few strands of hair gently brushing against his forehead as he remains engrossed in his work. Just below, the skin of his chest peeks through the partially unbuttoned shirt.

As my eyes drift lower, I abruptly pause. Does he have a six-pack? It's obvious he hits the gym regularly. I can almost sense those six-pack abs hidden beneath his shirt.

“Why hide and check me out when I can give you a closer tour of every single angle of me?”

I almost didn’t believe the words actually came out of Adam's mouth until his hands abruptly halts and his gaze swiftly locks onto me. His eyebrows arches as he positions his hands on the kitchen counter, leaning in ever so slightly. 

I quickly avert my eyes, unable to find the right words to respond as the thoughts that consumed me mere seconds ago swirl in my mind.  "Uh... umm..." I stumble, realizing I can't come up with anything to say this time. Nervously, I clutch my hands together behind my back, while my eyes dart around me, avoiding direct eye contact.

This time he doesn’t speak anymore and sets the dinner on the table, occasionally attempting to meet my gaze, but I manage to evade his eye contact. He grabs a tissue, wipes his hands, and tosses it into the nearby trash bin.

And suddenly his eyes land on me.

Gradually, I sense him approaching, yet I struggle to summon the courage to meet his gaze. I take some steps backward, my hands tightly intertwined behind me, until my back presses against the cool wall.

He stands before me, his head tilting slightly to catch my eye. His hands find their place on either side of me, creating a barrier that surrounds me. I can clearly sense the smirk on his lips. “You always had an answer ready on your tongue for anything I said. But I never knew I can also make you speechless. I have to say, it's quite an achievement for me.”