'Nothing Else Matters' (Part Three)

Even though he had not really paid attention to the vicar's speech, some of it still echoed in Callum's mind when he took part in the rest of the wedding traditions. Cheering, applauding, lots of wishing well. And photos. Tons of photos. Not only from Carter, the woman that Anna's family had hired as the official photographer, but from anybody else with a phone as well. The flashes of light and the clicks, from those who were unable or too lazy to switch that photo sound off, became annoying. And he wondered: What was it that they were celebrating here?

Somehow both him and Anna ended up in front of his parents-in-law. "Where are you two going for your honeymoon?" Mrs. Gilmour inquired while having her gaze fixed on Anna. "I don't believe I got a word of it."

Anna seemed like in a trance. Not that she had been able to answer this in the first place - Callum had made the arrangements and hadn't told her anything yet. When she referred her folks to him, he put up a reassuring smile: "It's a surprise. Don't worry, Mrs. Gilmour! "I'll take care of her."

"You better." Although the voice of his father-in-law didn't sound like it, the threat in those words could not be mistaken. Callum stood his ground when Mr. Wallace tried to stare him down. He tried to remember: Didn't Anna once tell him that her dad always carried a gun on his travels? On the other hand, did he really need one? Those muscular arms and hands under the fancy suit could easily crush any part of Callum's body.

"Dear, we talked about this," Mrs. Gilmour tried to defuse the situation, and her husband thankfully gave in.

"Yes, right."

At this moment Callum would have welcomed any opportunity or excuse to get out of this awkward conversation. So he looked around... and found one. "If you'll excuse me..." he said to the Gilmours, with an additional whisper to Anna: "I'll be right back."

Ignoring the slightly miffed looks of his in-laws, he rushed away. It wasn't just an excuse to get away from them. Mia had shown up in the furthest corner of the party, glancing daggers at him, but had turned away and started to walk as soon as he spotted her. He hurried to follow her around the corner... but she had vanished already.

"Mia?" Callum asked cautiously into the emptiness. Despite the huge crowd that now gathered in front of the hotel, nobody was actually in this gloomy part of it. Somewhere far back a door closed. Callum went on to follow, but then stopped. Mia apparently didn't want to talk to him and even ran away, so following her wouldn't do any good. If Molly was the open and goodwilled twin, then Mia was definitely the stubborn one.

He went back to the others. Anna had thrown the bouquet, and her bridesmaid Bridget had caught it. Despite the cheering of the others, she didn't seem to be very happy about this. For a short moment her glance went to the crowd of elderly people - Callum's parents and relatives, the vicar, the entertainer and the photographer - and Callum wondered what she was so worried about.

"So you did it." A hand landed heavily on Callum's shoulder, and Ocean Creed smiled warmly at him. "You actually took the vow."

"You still had doubts?" Callum inquired and raised an eyebrow.

"Not as such, no," his best man answered. "Not until I saw your face at the altar. Are you alright?" He tilted his head and looked Callum right in the eyes. "Or do you have doubts now?"

The other groomsmen had caught up with the two of them by now, so Callum had no chance to think about an answer. He was just rushed away and cheered on by his friends, and it would just be a matter of time until someone broke out the liquor again. The entire group practically dragged the groom back to the party. They arrived just in time to watch Anna open the first wedding gifts, accompanied by the giggling and chattering of her bridesmaids.