'Mama' (Part Two)

I knew the end of Mia's tantrum was far from near. With any hindsight, I could have predicted the stealthy way Mia would slip from my sight and the way she would go to bat with Callum—only with her piercing eyes—before I finally found her, again.

But I didn't think to keep a watchful eye on her and merely hoped she would remain in an easily locatable junction.

She didn't.

I lost her during the photo shoot.

Rubbing the back of my neck was no use. The cloth that was supposed to be there was gone and hopefully still over Mia's horrendous dress. She wouldn't take the scarf off, would she? Perhaps she would, but she had made her point with the rag. There would be no clear aim then. She wouldn't. I hoped she wouldn't.

I found her eventually, strolling about the hallway closest to the ballroom. She appeared nearly the same as before, determination blazing in her blue eyes.

"I was looking for you," Mia stated simply. Surprisingly, I couldn't find the tell-tale signs of anger on her face, never mind stress or worry.

This Mia was more concerning than the Mia who would gladly rage like a toddler.

"Yes?" I raised a brow. I wouldn't admit I was looking for her too. Either way. I had to take opportunities when I got them. I beckoned her to my side. "Follow me. We can walk and talk."

Now trailing beside me, Mia combed a hand through her brown hair. "I'm not a git, Mum."

"I didn't say you were."

"But you did..." She swallowed hard. "I know what I'm getting myself into. And I know it's going to be hard, but design is my passion. You will never understand that, though."

Of course, I knew Mia would volley the discussion in my direction, but I didn't expect the confrontation so soon. She was unwavering in her position for certain. For better or worse, Mia wanted to prove herself or rather her unremarkable future life choices.

"I don't have to understand the severity of your conviction to go into design to know the facts of the industry." As she slowed to a stop, I grabbed her arm, dragging her along with me. The destination of our room calling louder by the second. "There is always a possibility of failure. That dress doesn't show me you can be successful in design. I want you to be successful, Mia."

Not like me and my lousy start to a professional life.

"I'm not going to fail." Her tone was stiff, slowly edging into the tone I was accustomed to.

Scanning the hallway, I found the correct set of doors, ushering Mia inside her hotel room. Quietly, I said, "There is no certainty in anything, Mia."

"Why don't you ever believe in me?" Mia's voice cracked. "You never do. Every time I ever do something, anything, you shut it down. Every bloody time."

I do believe in you. I should have said that along with thousands of other consoling words. I didn't. I couldn't. She wouldn't care what I said, or how I said it. She would only listen to Arthur, and even then, she barely heeded his words. She would never learn to see the reality of the real world clearly. I would have to repeat myself over and over again to no avail. She would keep her ears shut and mouth open. I suppose my mouth would be open too.

I tugged her suitcase open.

"I don't believe in your behavior or your attitude." I sighed, kept rummaging through Mia's clothes, and hoped she would come to a slow simmer, maintained. "Your actions were uncouth. There are other ways you could have handled your emotions. You did not have to ruin the dress. Anna not only spent an ungodly amount of money on the dress, but Callum wanted you up there with him."