Chapter 13. Who's the pathetic one?

Trigger warnings: Gore

So that's what I am to Eve... I'm just a pawn in her game. And the only reason I'm probably alive, despite all my fuck ups, is because I killed the man who supposedly hurt her. I did her dirty work for her.

I am the puppet, and Eve is the puppeteer.

Someone groans beside me. Mina. Oh fuck, I completely forgot about her. I slowly get up, my hearing and vision still a little disoriented. I stumble towards Mina lying face down on the ground. Her fingers twitch as her body stirs.

“You okay?” I cough out, the smoke from the motorcycle burning my lungs.

Mina lowly lifts her head at my voice and hesitates to take my offered hand before accepting it. Pulling her up, I let her regain her balance before letting her go.

I turn towards the burning motorcycle, or what remains of it. The front piece with the red dragon/rose lies just a few feet away. Except the color is now black and half the logo has been burned away.

The sight of it threatens to trigger back the memories that had just flashed through me moments ago. There's a reason why I've kept them buried deep all these years. And I can't let Mina see the side of me where I break down. Not that I even remember how it feels like to release my emotions.

Taking three deep breaths, each lasting exactly six seconds, I control the enraged tears inside me. I swallow the lump in my throat as I stare at the burning wreckage.

“Well, that's just great. Now we can't use your motorcycle,” Mina remarks when she reaches my side.

I suppress the urge to throw her body into the fire itself. She doesn't know the significance of that motorcycle, and that bit of information is of little importance at this moment.

Because right now, we have to get the fuck out of here before they show up. I have a feeling that Eve didn't come here alone. Her minions must be somewhere nearby, and I'd rather not let them slow us down.

I start to walk towards the back door when Mina follows me.

“Wait, where are you going? Shouldn't we sneak out the back?” Mina asks.

I exhaled frustratingly. “I need to grab something."

If I could catapult Mina's body into one of those dumpsters, I would. Unlike Jennie, I cannot stand her stupid questions at all.

Mina closes the door behind us as soon as we step inside. “What the hell do you need to get from here? Fertilizer for your bodies?”

I turn towards her. "Can you shut the fuck up?" I growl. "This is what I need." Just as I'm about to pick up Jennie's backpack, something whizzes by my head. A blade lodges itself in the wooden box two inches from my face.