Chapter 16. Roof Massacre

Ava's POV

Trigger warnings: gore

Two assassins approach me slowly, one holding a katana and another a gun. I've made sure to wear new bulletproof clothing, but they won't last for long. I adjust my knife in my right hand. No matter how hard the fight gets, the knife always saves me and gets the job done. Maybe the dragon/red rose that I have engraved on the handle contains my mother's protection and energy. A part of me believe that my mother still loves and protects me, even though I'm a killer.

I take a deep breath and close my eyes. A memory I've kept locked for years appears, one where I'm six years old. It was just the two of us on the beach, my mother and I. We were walking alongside the shore, the waves kissing our feet before rolling back into the ocean, when I spotted a baby turtle stuck in the sand. I rushed towards it, and helped guide it back into the water. My mother was proud of me, and her words resound in my mind as loud as they were on that day. “I know you will grow up to be a beautiful woman with an even more beautiful heart, Ava. Don't let anyone take that part away from you. But no matter what happens, I'll always , always love you.”

Darkness returns as I reopen my eyes. One of the two assassins rushes at me with the katana. I sidestep as it slices empty air before I cut my knife through her hand. Blood spurts out of her amputated wrist. She grabs it with her other hand. The second assassin shoots me. I dodge it and a yelp ensues behind me, letting me know that the bullet had hit someone else. Before she can pull the trigger again, I kick it out of her hand and land a punch under her chin. Blood from her mouth splatters on my face as she tries to swing a bit of her own. I block it, grab her wrist, and pull her to the ground before slicing her throat. Crimson liquid gurgles upwards like a fountain, staining my clothes.

Two down, twenty-three more to go.

“Mina!” I yell as three other assassins charge at me. Gunshots resound from the direction of the helicopter as two assassins fall to the ground like flies. Out of the corner of my eye, I spot five assassins surrounding Mina. She raises two guns in the air and grins at me before proceeding.

My knife tastes victory three more times. As I pull it out of one assassin’s eye socket, two hands grab me by the back of my collar and flings me several feet backwards. I skid painfully on the cement, the skin on my hands grazing along the ground. The assassin who flung me approaches me. I kick her in the stomach, catapulting her body a good distance. I jump back to my feet. Another punches me several times in my already-bruised ribs, emitting a pained groan from me. I grab their wrist and twist it. I kick the other assassin again, this time in the chest. I stab the one beside me in the heart.

Our eyes lock for a few seconds before I throw her off my knife. A twinge of remorse penetrates me. I'm killing my sisters. But it's the only way to save Jennie, and I have to do it.

With a yell, I tackle the persistent assassin. We both slam to the ground. I punch her in the face several times. She suddenly grabs my hand and lands a punch of her own. Stabbing pain courses through my jaw. I spit out the blood from my mouth and block her incoming hit. I pin her hand to the ground, driving my knife into her ribs until the hilt. She gasps, her eyes widening at me as her body goes limp. I yank it out of her flesh and stab her in the forehead… so I can be sure she's dead.

I am definitely going to be haunted by their stares.

I glance in the direction of Mina, who has taken care of the five assassins as they lay dead around her. She is holding a hand to her blood-stained shirt, but she gives me a thumbs up with her gun before another three assassins approach her. She looks like she's taking care of it, but I know she won't last for long. Whatever training she's had, I know it's nothing compared to mine.

The remaining ten assassins circle around me like a pack of wolves stalking their prey, each flashing their own weapons before they charge. Sounds of blows, breaking bones, sliced guts, gurgling blood, grunts, yells, and gunshots fill the air as I handle each one of them. The coppery taste in my mouth and the aching pain in my wounds only fuel my adrenaline as they all succumb to my wrath.

I slice the last assassin’s throat before I stand and wipe my knife against my pants. Breathing heavily, I look at the massacre all around me. The heavy air is laden with the stench of blood and death. Pools of the crimson liquid decorate the roof. Everyone in KSD is dead.

I glance towards the spot where I'd seen Mina last. When I don't see her, I rush over. She's lying on her back, her chest heaving with each breath she takes as blood pours from the wound in her stomach.

“Shit,” I say as I bend down and apply pressure. “Hold on. You'll be fine, I promise.”

“Don't… worry about me,” Mina croaks. “Save Jennie.”

“You're going to bleed to death… I–”

“I'll be fine.” She weakly smiles. “I can take care of myself. Now go save our girl.”

I nod as I stand and turn towards the direction where I'd seen Eve disappear. I step over the slain bodies of my comrades whom I've killed for one, small twig named Jennie.

I don't feel a single ounce of regret. And Eve is going to be next.

Word Count: 1025