Chapter 7: Darius's Interest

"Are things going well between you two?" I glanced down at my tea, absently stirring it as the question caught me off guard.

"Oh, yes, quite well. My lord has been very kind to me," I replied, offering the best smile I could muster. Surprisingly, I wasn't even lying. Despite the circumstances that led to our marriage, Darius had been surprisingly kind to me. He allowed me to stay in the house and pursue my interests without much interference.

In the end, I realized from the depths of my heart that this was exactly what I had wanted in my life. I had never engaged in any romantic experiences with anyone because I wanted to emulate my father and become a doctor. This was what I had been given—a chance to practice under Mr. Sinclair and fulfill my dreams.

But at what cost was I receiving all these blessings? Did I truly deserve them?

My sister, Meredith, was supposed to be here, sitting with Darius's grandfather, enjoying afternoon tea, and living a loving life with her own love—or so I had thought.

Early in the morning, I received a letter from my father that left me even more confused. He had discovered that Meredith was having an affair with someone else, and she loved that man.

Everything she had told us about Darius was a lie. Unable to cope with the idea of marrying Darius, she had run away. But that didn't make any sense to me. They still hadn't find about hereabouts and I was perplexed on whether to find out about her or not.

Even if she liked someone else what was the necessity of running away? Why did she even say yes to marry Darius in the first place. And about Darius, how come he doesn't even know her name, as if she were a stranger to him. If anything I have to find whatever Darius knew about Meredith first and may be then I would be ready to find something about her.

"Mrs Kingsley?" I was caught off guard as I looked up to find Darius' grandfather staring at me expectantly.

"Yes, I'm sorry, I was lost in thought about my sister," I replied truthfully, noticing the visible sigh of impatience he let out.

"Are you still dwelling on the past? You must remember that you now bear the Kingsley surname, and your husband is soon to be announced as the Duke." His words shocked me, and I gasped audibly. He chuckled at my reaction.

"As you know, Darius's older cousin's brother rightfully held the title under the Monarch. But since he passed away, Darius became the first in line to be the Duke."

I was taken aback; I had no idea. However, whenever I ventured outside, people treated the name 'Darius Kingsley' with reverence, and I had heard that even the rogues were afraid of him. But after witnessing what he did to the trespasser a few days ago, any doubts I had, vanished. Darius Kingsley was indeed a dangerous person, and sometimes he scared me.

I wondered if he would ever help me find Meredith.

"Isn't it surprising? Did Darius not inform his wife about this announcement?" he inquired, causing me to shift uncomfortably in my seat.

"He might have kept it as a surprise for me," I replied, and he nodded, smiling at me. Just then, I noticed Darius approaching us from the corner of my eyes.

Last night it was the first ever conversation we had after our wedding day. I have been respectful to his words and privacy and it was already uncomfortable for both of us, which I understood with time. Not wanting the situation to become more awkward, I stood up, intending to leave.

"Where are you going?"

"beg your pardon, I have to leave for my clinic," I replied, and he smiled. Earlier, I had mentioned to him that I had started practicing as an apprentice under Mr. Josephus Sinclair.