Chapter 8: Ripples of Destiny

It's been a month since I joined Julian's piano sessions and yet there has been no news of Mr Edward's whereabouts. I tried not to be nosy but I couldn't help asking him where and when he would be back.

The investigation has yet to start. I keep sending letters to my siblings, and at least they have been trying to find some clue about Meredith, but alas, it is going nowhere. There has been no sign of my sister or any news about anyone. Time is slowly passing by, and it is disturbing my nerves.

I have no one to share my feelings with. I have started bursting into tears at night and have been suffering from insomnia. Thankfully, I haven't had to perform any surgery that required concentration, but I know this can't continue. If anything, I have learned a few notes on the piano.

A sigh escapes my mouth as I gaze at the lake from the balcony of my chamber. It is a sunny day, and Mr. Sinclair has given me the day off.

But the problem is I have no idea what I should do on a holiday.

The chilly breeze brushed against my face, prompting me to rub my neck for warmth. The lake, shimmering in the distance, exuded a serene beauty that beckoned me. Despite having spent many months in Darius's estate, I had never ventured to the lake before. A memory flashed through my mind—Darius, with a sword, leading a figure towards the lake in the dead of night. Goosebumps prickled my skin as I hurried back to my room, grabbing a scarf before heading back out, compelled to explore the lake's mysterious allure.

Mr. Ralph, was nowhere to be found, and the others claimed ignorance about his whereabouts. I informed a cook of my plans and set off toward the lake, the image of Darius and the mysterious figure weighing heavily on my mind. I had no idea where life is taking me. I am yet to find myself and realise what I truly desire.

The brittle twigs snapped beneath my feet as I approached the lake, each crackle echoing through the stillness of the air. My heart fluttered as the serene and calm sight of the water came into view, its tranquil surface reflecting the fading light of the day. The breeze, carrying a chill, swept over me, ruffling my hair and sending a shiver down my spine.

A lone bird soared gracefully over the lake, its wings slicing through the air as it disappeared into the distant forest.

There was an eerie quietness about the place, no signs of life except for the occasional rustle of leaves in the trees. But then, as if out of nowhere, my eyes caught sight of something unusual—a boat, adrift in the middle of the lake, its sole occupant sitting silently. I watched in silence as the figure rose from his seat, his gaze fixed on the dark depths below.

Without warning, he leaped from the boat, plunging into the water with a splash that broke the stillness of the lake. A gasp escaped my lips as I watched, my mind racing to understand what I had just witnessed. The water seemed deceptively calm, its surface betraying the hidden dangers below.

Seconds ticked by, but the man did not resurface. Panic gripped me as I realized he might be in trouble. Without hesitation, I ran towards the nearest deck, hoping to get a better view of the spot where he had disappeared. As I reached the edge, my heart sank—there was no sign of him.

Driven by a sense of urgency, I made a split-second decision. I jumped into the shallow water, wading in as far as I could, shouting for him to come back up. But as minutes passed with no sign of him, I knew I had to do more. I took a deep breath and dove into the depths of the water, the sun above my only guide in the murky darkness below.

It was cold, so cold that it took my breath away. But I pushed through, scanning the depths for any sign of movement. And then, I saw him—his form drifting slowly downward, his eyes closed, and his body limp.