IASWAA | College Life

Deleted Scene 3: College Life

“It’s way too early in the morning.”

I glanced over at Cassidy and laughed.  She let her head fall back, grumbling about how God should never have created this unholy time of morning and how if she had any choice, school would not be allowed to have its doors open.  She’d make sure that all the classes were after nine, she told me.  Never would we have to get up early again.

“Bri,” Cassidy drawled, her head coming back up and her eyes flicking in my direction, “don’t you agree that it’s too early in the morning?”

I laughed.  “Yeah.  Definitely.”

“Beautiful,” came a voice from behind us.  “Stop complaining about sunshine.  People will mistake you for a vampire.”

We both turned, our eyes locking on Sean as he strutted toward us, an amused smirk on his face.  I let out a laugh as Cassidy glared at him, pursing her lips and bringing her hands to her hips.  Cassidy and Sean constantly reminded me of Shelley and Garner.  Always bantering, always teasing each other, but still in love with each other.

“You’re so pale that anyone could mistake you for a vampire,” Cassidy retorted, crossing her arms over her chest.

I snorted along with Sean at that one.  He was anything but pale.  He was tan, actually.  Really tan.  His complexion went along perfectly with his dark locks of hair and his electric blue eyes.  He and Dannon had almost the same color eyes.  Except, to me, Dannon’s eyes were a much deeper, warmer blue.

Dannon.  I missed him so much.  The last time I’d talked to him was a couple days ago, on the phone.  We hadn’t seen each other in over two weeks.  I couldn’t wait until this weekend!  I could finally see him, even if it was for only a day or two.

Yeah.  I’d become dependent on Dannon’s presence.  Sue me.

“As good as that retort is,” Sean drawled, his smirk growing, “we both know I have a sexy tan.”

I watched as Cassidy involuntarily scanned him from head to toe.  She, in contrast to Sean, was on the pale side.  She had a darker shade of brunette hair than him with flashing brown eyes.  The first time I’d seen her, I’d been sort of intimidated.  She was an upperclassmen, I was a freshman.  I’d been afraid to walk up to her and ask for directions to my dorm.  I’d been terrified she’d yell at me.

But she didn’t.  And now she was one of my first college friends.

I didn’t have many college friends.  Most of my friends were introduced to me by Cassidy.  There was Sean, Cassidy’s boyfriend.  And then there was Mira, her best friend.  And then there was Faith, her roommate.  Oh, and Skylar, Sean’s roommate.  There were a couple of girls I’d become acquainted with in class, but we didn’t really hang out outside of the classroom.  For the most part I just hung out with Cassidy.

“Sexy?” Cassidy cocked an eyebrow.  “You call that sexy?”

“Uh, yeah.”  Sean rolled his eyes.  “Just admit it.  You love my tan.”

“Yeah, ‘kay.”  Cassidy shook her head.  She shot an amused look in my direction, “I so don’t,” she stage whispered to me.

“We both know you’re lying, Beautiful,” Sean teased.

Cassidy rolled her eyes again.  I couldn’t help but smile at them.  Their banters were so much like that of a married couple’s it was hilarious.  I glanced down at my hand and smiled larger.  My engagement ring sparkled in the sun, almost hurting my eyes.  It was almost time for the wedding.  I was so excited.  Soon, I’d no longer be Brianne Nichols.  I’d be Brianne Barone, Dannon’s wife.