IASWAA | The Engagement

Deleted Scene 1: The Engagement

“Are you ready?”

I smiled over at Dannon.  We were sitting in front of my house inside his car.  We’d been sitting here for ten minutes, thinking of a way to tell my family the news.  I mean, going in there and screaming, “OMG I’m engaged!” wasn’t very creative.  But there wasn’t really many different ways to tell them.  We could have gone with the boring, “Oh yeah, we’re engaged.  Just thought we’d let you know.”  But I didn’t really want to do that.

So, I was doing what I would usually do: see how long it took them to notice.  Yep, I was going to see how long it took them to notice the dazzling ring on my finger.  Then, and only then, would I tell my family that I was engaged to such an amazing guy.

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” I murmured, my smile growing.  “Are you ready?”

Dannon cracked a bright smile.  “Oh, yeah.”

I laughed, unbuckling my seatbelt.  Yeah, we’d been sitting there and I never undid my seat buckle.  “I wonder how long it’s going to take them to notice.”

Dannon leaned forward pecking me on the lips.  “The way you talk with your hands, I’m guessing not long.”

I whacked him on the shoulder playfully.  “Hey!  That’s not very nice.”

“Ah, but you love me anyway.”  Dannon smiled largely, opening his door and stepping outside.  Ah, I guess we were going inside now.

Suddenly I felt nervous.  What if they got pissed because I was getting married at such a young age?  What if they thought that this was a horrible idea and tried to put an end to it?  I’d be devastated if that happened.  Marrying Dannon was probably the best thing that could ever happen for us.  If I could, I’d marry him now.

Yeah, I was a total girl.

Don’t like it?  Get over it.

I opened the car door and hopped out.  Dannon held my hand as we made our way up the walkway, toward my house.  I was surprised that my family wasn’t looking out the windows at us right now, being the creepers that they were.  But, then again, they’d become used to our affection.  I mean, we didn’t exactly hide it even when we were with them.  They didn’t seem to mind, though.

“What happens if they get mad?” I mumbled as we reached the door.

“They won’t,” Dannon assured, squeezing my hand for further consolation.

How he knew that I didn’t know, but I wasn’t about to ask.

“I’m home!” I called kicking off my shoes, all without letting go of Dannon’s hand.  He copied, the smile never leaving his face.

“Brianne!” Garrett called, scurrying out into the room, a ridiculous smile on his face.  “Oooh and the boyfriend is here.”

Dannon chuckled.  “Hey, Garrett.”

“Hello, Dannon.”  Garrett placed his hands on his hips.  “So, what are the plans for today?  Are you going to go take that ridiculous romantic walk on the beach again?”

Yeah, we’d attempted one of those.  In reality, they’re not that romantic.  Though, that may have been because Dannon ended up throwing me in the water, and subsequently I attempted to drown him in the ocean.  No biggy.  “We could,” I said slowly before laughing.  “Nah, I don’t think so.”

Dannon laughed.  “Aw, you didn’t enjoy the water fight last time?”

I scowled.  “You got salt water up my nose.”