IASWAA | First Day Back

“You do know we’re going to have to get out of the car eventually.”

Dannon glanced at me and I snorted out a laugh.  His eyes were wide with what I could only describe as fear.  Usually his fear would bring me concern, but today it did nothing but amuse me.  Before you call me demented and messed up, please understand something: this was not a horror movie okay.

“Yeah, um, I think I’m good here,” he muttered, pushing back in his seat.  He glanced around the car, his eyes still wide.  “I’m kind of really scared to get out of the vehicle.  For the safety of our lives.”

I snickered.  “I’m pretty sure they won’t do anything to me.

Who was I talking about, you ask? 

His fangirls.

Yep, you heard me.  His fangirls were surrounding the car, smacking on the windows and screaming.  They were swarming, and if I were actually on top of the car right now I’m pretty sure the crowd would seem a lot thicker than it did in here.  I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t a bit nervous to get out of the car, but that was only because I knew the poor girls would hurt themselves trying to get to him.  I’m pretty sure some girls were getting hurt without the doors being open.

“Well, that’s comforting,” Dannon said, smiling.  It wasn’t sarcasm.  He seemed to mean it sincerely.

I grabbed onto his hand and squeezed it.  “I told you that you were popular but no, no one listens to me.”

Dannon grinned, pressing his lips against my temple.  “Well, I guess I believe you now.  Except not really.”

Dannon and I glanced around at the crowd again.  How the hell were we supposed to get out of the car anyway?  Girls were crushed against all the windows, even the windshield.  If we tried to open the door, I had no doubt in my mind that it wouldn’t even budge.

Sigh, the popular life was so hard.  Glad I didn’t really have to live it.  The only thing people knew me as was, “Dannon’s girlfriend.”  Of course some actually knew my name, but definitely not as many as those who knew Dannon’s.  And I was quite all right with that.

“This is what you get for not attending school for over two months,” I drawled, my lips pricking into a smile.  I didn’t mention the coma, nor did we ever really.  Ever since Dannon had left the hospital, we let the subject drop.  Dannon and I talked about my depression and then that was it.  We let it fall away because now all we wanted to do was move forward.

And Dannon just wanted to live a life without cancer continuing to burden him.

“Well,” Dannon drawled right back, “whatever.”

I snorted.  “That’s the best comeback you have?  Really?”

“I’m a little distracted by the bodies attacking my car,” Dannon said, his eyes on the girls again.  His face was so comical that it was all I could do not to burst out laughing again.

His first day back at LHS and this was how he was greeted—girls attacking him in his car.  Was he even going to make it to the door, or were they going to maul him before he got there?  Poor Dannon.  Sucked to be attractive, didn’t it?

“Okay, I’m going in,” I muttered, throwing my bag over my shoulders.  I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.  “Wish me luck.”

“Just remember that I love you, okay?” Dannon replied, airing the tone of someone who was watching a loved one going out into a battlefield.

“Dude, if anyone’s going to make it through this, it’s me.”  I snickered.  “But I love you, too.”

And with that I opened the door and got out of the car.