Chapter 42

"This one," Adira started as she pinned up the last curl and made eye contact with Matt through the mirror in front of her; he was sitting on the edge of the bed behind her. "I need to do alone."

He sighed, "Adira, part of that ring on your finger is that you don't have to do anything alone anymore."

She stood and turned to Matt, gently taking his hands in hers. "There will always be somethings that I have to do by myself and somethings you will have to do yourself. That is the way it goes. We are our own before we our anyone elses."

He sighed once again, "You're beautiful."

"I am dressed for death. There is nothing beautiful about that."

...

They had decided to by pass any sort of church service and have Renee's service grave side. Adira had picked out a grave under a small willow tree. It was her and the pastor as he started to speak of love, life, and the after-life. "Oh god," said a voice from behind her. "I didn't want to believe him. I didn't believe him!" The pastor paused as Adira turned to look at the voice a few feet away. He was wearing jeans and a black button up with tears rolling down his hollow looking face. "No!" he repeated over and over as he walked closer. "Renee, baby."

"You must be Michael," whispered Adira.

He turned to her, "How could you kill her and show up for her funeral?"

"I do not know what lies Jarred told you, but I was her friend," Adira choked on her words. "She was my friend. I loved Renee every much but she died on the operating table. They were trying to save her." Adira grabbed his hand, tugged him close, and wrapped her arms around him. His tears picked up as he shook against her.

The pastor dismissed himself after a final prayer.   Adira rested her chin against the top of Michael's hair as he burrowed himself against Adira. She looked around the peaceful cemetery to see a man leaning against the tree, far off in the distance. She squinted and made out Jarred, who was leaning against the tree with his fist pressed to his grim mouth. "It'll be okay, Michael."

"But, I love her."

"Me too," she whispered, biting her lip to keep from crying. "Me too."

She heard them pull before before she saw them. She didn't want to release Michael so whoever was here could wait. "Adira," said a voice she would recognize anywhere. Her Sergeant. Adira turned away from Michael momentarily to see her whole division walking up and piling out of cars, police and plain alike. There was suited officers and officers in plain clothes. "We're here. For you. For Renee."

The tears broke free from her control as her heart broke. "You sent her to me to die," she whispered as he stood beside her.

"We'll have this discussion later. Right now," he looked at her sadly. "We are here to honor Renee."

Adira watched as Erin led a few officers to put flowers on Renee's coffin. Michael broke free from Adira and collapsed in the ground, resting against the coffin. "I love you," he whispered into the polished side. "I love you so much." He fumbled with his jeans pocket, pulling out an old antique ring with a small, single diamond at the center of a small, thin grey band. "Marry me," he whispered. "Just like you promised!" He screamed. "You promised! Renee," he pleaded to the coffin. "Renee."

...

Matt stood at the island, studying Adira as she laid on the couch, staring up at the ceiling with her eyes unfocused. He picked up his phone and walked upstairs. "James! Joshua! Jeremiah! Justice! Jedidiah! Report!" All the kids came running from their rooms and stood in the hallway. "Pack your overnight bags, you are spending the night with Uncle Derek!"