Dream Girls: Piper Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

"Okay, back it up now!" I screamed, waving my hand to Stephanie, signaling how much room she had left before she slammed into a van parked behind her.

We'd just ended an epic road trip from our small home town in Missouri with our friend Nicole and were in front of our new apartment in Dallas. Ultimately, moving to Dallas hadn't been a hard decision. Leaving our families wasn't easy, but the freedom of our own apartment while still in college was incentive enough.

We were used to parking lots where we were from; however, I'm sure our new neighbors were impressed by the twenty minute display we'd just put on, zipping back and forth, blocking traffic and narrowly side swiping a couple of parked cars.

"Hot damn, I think we did it! Thank you, Piper." Stephanie hit the steering wheel in celebration. Nic and I laughed. Parking was our first obstacle and we'd conquered it.

Once we'd gathered all of our bags, we finally we made it inside. Stephanie's mother and aunt had brought a moving truck last week when she'd put the first and last month's rent down on the apartment. Steph's family had money and they we're happily footing our rent as long as we all stayed in college. It took most of the pressure off financially. My mother certainly didn't have it to give and Nic's dad was still raising her two brothers. We we're all appreciative.

The space was bigger than I thought it would be. The floor plan was open, and the apartment was filled with dark furniture and hardwood floors. There were many windows providing a lot of light. The living room was fully furnished and opened to the kitchen and small breakfast nook.

"I freaking love it!" I squealed.

"Let's pick out our bedrooms," Steph suggested.

"I think you should get the master, since your folks are paying the rent," Nic said and I agreed.

"All right, which one are you guys taking?" Steph asked.

I made my way to the end of the hallway. This room was the smallest, but it was farther away from the other rooms in the apartment. I loved my girls, but out of all three of us, I would say I was the moodiest. Sometimes, I needed to be by myself, and luckily, they understood. This would be perfect for me.

The room was painted light beige, with white accents. The bed was iron, and the chest was white. I was a very simple girl. I didn't much care for decorations; all I needed was a bed, a closet, and somewhere to put my guitar. I ran down the hall to see if Nic liked her room and ran right into her.

"I love—"we both started at the same time, then burst out laughing.

"Girls, we are about to start one of the greatest journeys of our lives. Are you guys ready?" Steph asked, running up to us and hugging us both close.

"I'm so ready. What shall we do on our first night here in Dallas, ladies?" I wagged my eyebrows.

"I say we party tonight and worry about jobs tomorrow," Steph suggested, throwing her arms up in the air.

We all knew that we should be getting everything unpacked and arranged, but the excitement overtook the moment.

"I knew we were friends for a reason. You're a freakin' genius."

We each went into our own rooms to dig through clothes we hadn't unpacked yet. We didn't need to get dressed in the same room for me to be able to tell what my best friends were going to be wearing, as we had spent high school and the last two years at college together. All three of us were different in personality and style. I think that's one of the things I loved about us best. None of us were alike, and we were okay with that.