Dream Girls: Piper Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

We walked into the bar at noon the next day to find the lunch rush in full swing. I could tell the girls were nervous, for different reasons of course. Steph was afraid she was going to spill a drink on someone, and Nic was trying to not go to prison. I had a little bit of both concerns, but this was a means to an end for us, and we needed it.

We stood looking around as servers and patrons went about their business. I'd admit it was a little overwhelming, looking around. Busy didn't cover it. They were slammed, and if I allowed myself to think about everything we were about to be doing, I'd probably freak. Unfortunately, Nic was already fretting.

"Nic, just think of this as an adventure in one of those books you read, yeah?" I said, trying to calm her nerves.

"I read romance, Piper," she said, crossing her arms.

"Just plug one of the fine-ass men surrounding us into that huge brain of yours and take off, okay?" I raised an eyebrow.

"You two crack me up. I'm so glad we are doing this together," Steph said.

After two hours of filling out forms and going over the rules of the bar, we were ready to start training. Stephanie was paired up with a girl that looked to be just a little older than us, named Stacy. Nicole was shadowing Jenny, our waitress from yesterday. She had worked in the bar for four years, so I knew she would be tolerant with Nic. I was paired up with Cole. He was definitely one of the hottest guys I had ever laid eyes on. He had brown hair that had just a tinge of curl to it. His eyes were almost gray, and he was just under six feet tall. I could see his muscular outline under his shirt, but what really made him hot as hell in my book was the most amazing sleeve of tattoos I had ever seen. The artwork was breathtaking. Cole was really down to earth and welcoming, and I knew from the moment we met, we were going to get on well.

I picked up on everything fairly quickly and felt that I was really going to enjoy this job about half-way through the afternoon. I tried to keep an eye on Nic and Steph, and they seemed to be doing great as well.

There had only been a couple of drinks with which I wasn't familiar. Cole was patient and explained everything easily. Another thing I really liked about him was that even though I could tell he was a typical flirt, he still did his job. That put me at ease. I really didn't want to have to do my job plus his. I couldn't keep up with the women that tried to catch his attention. They were everywhere and of all shapes and sizes. He didn't seem to discriminate. He flirted with all of them equally. I'd actually spent half my time with him laughing. He was definitely smooth, I'd give him that.

Nicole was feeling much better by our first break. "I'm still a little nervous about it, but I really like everyone here. Plus, the job isn't that difficult."

"Yeah, at least now I've delivered food and drinks to people. I was so scared I was going to dump someone's plate on them or spill their drink," Steph added.

"I told you guys! This is all going to work out." I smiled.

Around eight o'clock, I noticed some commotion at the back of the pub. I glanced around until I located Stephanie and Nicole. The girl Stephanie was shadowing was laughing and her hand covered her mouth. I still couldn't make out what was so funny.

"What the hell?" Cole asked.

"I'm not sure." I noticed a couple of the patrons were laughing as well.

Just then, Stephanie rounded the corner white as a ghost. She walked quickly down the hall toward the restroom. Nicole followed her along with another waitress I hadn't met yet. Stacy opened the door and ducked in behind them.