Dream Girls: Piper Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

Work became easier as time passed. The girls and I were comfortable with our routines and even made time to shop some. We were loving our freedom and taking full advantage of it. None of us had ever lived on our own, and we couldn't have been happier. With our schedules, we'd found that it was easier for Steph and Nic to do most of the cooking, while I pulled my weight by cleaning. It wasn't evident by looking at my bedroom, but the rest of the house was presentable.

Turning around to hand a young lady her drink, I saw him. Dammit. The last thing I wanted to deal with was some jackass I'd already had a run-in with. He didn't look near as cute to me as he had our first night out in Dallas. My stomach turned, knowing I would have to wait on him.

"What can I get ya?" I asked, pretending I didn't know him.

"Your number?" He smiled.

"I don't think so."

His friends laughed, and someone yelled, "Burn!" I really didn't give a crap what they thought of me, nor did I have time to deal with his come-ons.

"Playing harder to get this time, I see." He winked at me.

"Jackson, is it?"

"You do remember."

"Yeah, I'm sort of working here, so if you don't need a drink, I'll see ya 'round." I wasn't trying to be a bitch, but I didn't like him, and I certainly didn't want to waste my time talking to him.

"I'll take a beer." I turned around to get his beer, and I heard him groan. Damn, my tattoos. See? Douche-bag attractor. "Here you go," I said, taking his money.

"What time do you get off?"

"Late."

"I can wait."

"Listen, I'm seeing someone, okay?"

"I can't get those sexy lips out of my mind," he whispered. And I can't get you grabbing me out of mine.

The best thing for me to do would be ignore him. So, I did. I walked away and left him standing there with his friends laughing. Cole didn't seem to notice, and I was thankful for that. I didn't need any trouble. I liked this job, and I wanted to keep it.

I hadn't seen Moye in two weeks. He and Corey hadn't been back to the pub since the first night I met him. I didn't really know how I felt about that. He hadn't seemed like a player, but then again, people came in all sorts of shapes these days. It was harder to pick them out of the crowd. Messing around with nothing serious was my MO, so I wasn't opposed to it. But it bothered me that he had me thinking differently after just one meeting.

"How's he gonna ask you to dinner, then not come around for two weeks?" Steph asked while waiting on me to make two drinks for her tables.

"Who?" Cole asked from behind me.

"That Moye guy," she huffed.

"He's been busy at the ranch. I called him last week, and he said they had an accident out there with a couple of ranch hands. Corey got hurt too; broke his hand."

"Was Moye hurt?" I didn't really care. I mean, I cared, but it wasn't like I knew him or anything.

"You can ask him yourself. Here he comes," Cole said, looking over my shoulder.

He walked up to the bar with Corey and sat down on one of the stools. "Hey, Piper. How are you?"

"I'm good. What can I get for you?" I decided to keep it casual. I didn't want him to know how disappointed I was that I hadn't seen him.