Chapter Five

I paced around the small kitchen of the condo Tay and I shared, staring at the phone on the counter as if it were a bomb and I had forgotten how to diffuse it. Technically, it was dangerous and I was completely out of my depth.

It had been a month since I had been in Dallas for the music festival and I hadn't heard a word from Tyler Seguin. At first I had been upset; he had pushed so hard to get my phone number, so I had assumed that he was interested and would make good on his promise to see me soon. After a week, I gave up and shoved him to the back corner of my mind to be forgotten about. I didn't want to feel upset that he hadn't called, or even texted, we barely knew each other, but I was upset. Some friend he was.

But this evening at eight he had finally texted me, asking what I was doing tomorrow. Part of me wanted to say nothing and see if he wanted to hang out, but the other half of me, the angry half, wanted to ignore him and hope he didn't ask again. The second half was winning out, but then my phone began ringing.

"Hello?"

"Hey, darlin'," Tyler replied. I could practically hear him smirking.

"What do you want, Seguin?" It came off sounding more tired than angry, which was not what I had wanted.

"I was going to be in town if you wanted to hang out tomorrow."

"You're going to be in Austin?" I asked dumbly.

"Yes. That is where you said you lived, isn't it?"

"Yes, I live in Austin," I poked at a scuff on the linoleum floor with my toe.

"Do you want to hang out?"

"I don't know..."

"Andi," he whined.

I sighed, "Fine. We can go fishing, if you want; I've been meaning to go. Where are you staying?"

"I'm on the highway right now, I'll be there in about forty-five minutes."

"You didn't answer the question," I pointed out.

"Yeah, I haven't figured out where I'm staying yet..." He trailed off.

I really did not want this. I did not want to do this. "Hang on a second," I said into the phone. Dang it, I was doing it. "Tay?" I called up the stairs.

"Yeah, hon?"

"Can Tyler cr-"

"Wait, wait, wait. Tyler Seguin, Tyler?" She demanded.

"Yes, he just called me."

"Tyler Seguin, I'm-Gonna-Flirt-With-You-And-Promise-To-See-You-And-Then-Never-Call, Tyler Seguin?"

"He's on the phone right now," I said.

"I'm gonna have some words with him," she started coming down the stairs.

"Tyler?" I asked quickly.

"Yeah?" He sounded like he was laughing and I figured that he'd heard our whole conversation.

"I'll call you right back. I have to discuss some things with my roommate," I hung up. Then I rounded on Tay, "Can he crash here?"

"Are you kidding me? Can he crash here," she scoffed, "No! He most certainly cannot! This is the very guy that you had you all upset for the past month because he was an ass and didn't call! Why would you invite him the second he comes crawling back?"

"He probably just forgot to call, Tay. He's busy."

"And now you're making excuses for him! What happened to thinking he was trouble? All he had to do was say 'I'm going to be in Austin' and you just fall all over yourself trying to be with him," she was pissed.