Judgement

Grief is a strange thing. It can cause men and women to strive towards something great or leave everything in shambles. As I watched over the valley from our home, I saw the destruction Ityan's fire had created. I watched as some of the humans began making offerings to a fire they had created in order to appease the "fire god." I watched as other humans cursed the existence of the cruel "fire god." As a dormant jinni, I watched as mothers wailed over the scorched remains of their children. I know that it's inappropriate now, that their grief should have been granted privacy, but back then I couldn't help but watch. I was too young to know grief on their level.

     I was so immersed in their rituals of grief that I didn't notice that someone now stood beside me. I glanced up quickly at Zeus and found him deep in thought. I knew that Zeus was furious at our parents for going through with Ityan's trial. I didn't want to be in the way of his rage once again and decided to head back home. 

     "I'm sorry, Zrous," Zeus whispered softly, causing me to pause in my tracks. I turned to look at my elder brother in surprise only to hear him whisper,

     "I didn't mean to push you. I cherish you, little brother. I hope you understand that."

     "You didn't seem to cherish me when your anger spewed from within you. Why are you so angry? Ityan killed people. You of all people know how sacred our rules are. You of all people know that our rules protect both the jinn and the humans. You've studied with the Council for years, Zeus. YOU should know better," I replied in disbelief.

     "The more I study with them, the less I know, Zrous. You say that I should know better, but how can I when all we are taught is to respect those that are inferior to us?" Zeus asked, his anger flaring up once again.

     "I do not consider humans to be inferior to us, Zeus. We were created equally," I objected.

     "How can you even think that? We're told to hide our nature if we come across humans and for what? For THEIR protection? Zrous, humans are fools. They worship things WE create. To them, we are the gods," Zeus growled.    

     "We're not gods, Zeus. We're of the jinn. Our abilities do not make us better than humans, they simply make us different," I countered.

     Zeus shook his head with a sad smirk. He placed his hand on my shoulder before whispering, 

     "I am their god. I will show you how they succumb to me. If the Council punishes Ityan, I will rule Olympus."

     "Zeus, you-,"  I called out, trying to get him to see reason, but he had vanished. 

     Before I had time to contemplate my brother's words, a bell began to toll in the distance. It was time for the trial. I knew that the bell was only rung when the investigation was complete, meaning that the Council probably already had a verdict in mind. It was required by our own laws for every resident of the community to be present whenever there was a trial. We would make our way to the Pantheon, modern day Mytikas, the highest peak of Mt. Olympus. Any punishments that were handed out after the trials had to be witnessed by all as well.

     At the Pantheon stood a grand castle, erected by the jinn of yesteryear. It was formed of rock, natural to the mountain, and carefully carved by our master artisans. The palace housed no one regularly and was merely a meeting place where trials were held, marriages were officiated, and announcements were made. The inside was structurally the same as a Greek or Roman theater. Rows of concentric seating were raised up above the staging area. The staging area was in the center of the theater and now held the Council of Elders with Ityan sitting on a lone chair at the very center of it all. 

     "You know of your crimes, Ityan?" 

I peered over a woman's shoulder to see my father speaking to Ityan who now clasped his hands together and shook his head before whispering,

     "I did nothing wrong."

     "Surely you do not mean that," one of the Elders, Yazrin, scoffed as she swept her hand over her table. 

     "I did nothing wrong. The actions of the humans was their own, not mine," Ityan repeated.

     "Twelve humans, including three infants, have perished by a fire that YOU created," another Elder, Ulrum, pointed out.

     "I may have created it, but it was the humans who spread it to their village. How am I responsible?" Ityan asked with a scowl.

     "Do you find our rules, our LAWS, to be a joke, Ityan? We are forbidden from interacting with the humans because they know no better," Cronos asked in anger.

     "Do we have laws to protect the birds and animals in this valley as well, because they don't know better?" Ityan asked with a smirk.

     "Your attitude has led to your demise, Ityan," Cronos spoke again.

     "Your son agrees with me, though, Cronos. He believes that humans are no better than animals. Will you make him stand on trial as well?" Ityan asked irately.

     "My son did not set a fire that resulted in a human's death. Our laws state that the punishment for anyone's death caused by a jinni will result in their extermination. The fire was investigated and determined to have come from you, due to it's consistency. You will be doused in the morning. Make peace with what you can, Ityan," Cronos ruled simply.

     To say there was an outcry would be an understatement. The first to protest the ruling was my brother. Zeus leapt off his seat and grabbed my father by his throat in anger before bellowing,

     "You CANNOT execute him! A human life is nothing in front of our own lives!"

     "If that is what you think, Zeus, I have failed as your father," Cronos whispered in disappointment.

     Many younger members of our community began trashing the theater at the ruling. I could finally see that there were an overwhelming number of jinn who considered humans to be no more than pests. They couldn't fathom being "doused" due to the loss of a human's life. Ityan now sat motionless as the judgement finally began to sink in. He would be doused in the morning. 

     The jinn method of execution is known as "dousing." Since we are made of fire, the only way to execute us is to burn us out. In order to burn out our natural lifespan, a special chemical mixture was developed that would "douse" us. Think of it as aging at the speed of light, while burning and finally feeling what fire feels like to humans. It was known to be excruciatingly painful, which was why it was only used in cases of murder. I was far too  young to actually see a dousing, there hadn't been one in our community for hundreds of years. 

     Little did I know, this execution would change our community forever.