Doubt

Have you ever felt as if something you were setting out to do was virtually impossible? That even if you continued at it, your task would never be completed? After Iblis's second encounter, that was exactly how I felt. Chalk it up to Iblis's constant whispers, but I was beginning to doubt the mission I had set myself out to complete. I couldn't rely on allies anymore knowing full well what Zeus would have in store for them if they took my side.

The Olympians were powerful because they were ruthless. They were united in their manipulation of the world and that made them a formidable force. However, every wall had it's cracks and I had been exposed to one of numerous cracks that lined the wall of Olympians. There was unrest amongst the Olympians and I had decided to use that unrest to my benefit. The only way I would make a difference in their structure would be to crumble it apart from the inside and I had found an entry way in the from of Hephaestus.

I gathered my sparse belongings and headed away from the village of evil only to be stopped by a voice in the distance. 

"Zrous!" Denit's familiar voice called out. It seemed as if he had reached the Messenger's grave. I needed to leave the area before he could reach me, I decided, but I should have known that Denit's speed would make my point moot. He called out once more before falling silent. I thought I had evaded him, but he caught up with me a second later and looked at me angrily. 

"Where the hell do you think you're going?" Denit asked before pushing me roughly.

"Why are you angry?" I asked in confusion before pushing him back. 

"I just told my mother that I'm going to be away for a while to help you and you decide to up and leave me? How does that make any sense?" Denit asked in disbelief.

"I realized that I was being selfish by putting you in danger. I don't expect to survive any confrontation I have planned for the Olympians. I can't put you in the same position. You have a family, a mother that cares for you , and a home to come back to," I explained. 

"So what, you have nothing to lose? That's ridiculous. You're trying to save generations of our kind from corruption. I don't give a damn about how you think you may be saving me because this is MY choice. I could have stayed behind and let you continue on your journey, but I didn't. I'm not a child, Zrous. You need to acknowledge that. Now, what's our plan?" Denit asked before looking at me expectantly.

He had made his decision and he had stood his ground. It was obvious that whatever I said or did would not change the young jinni's mind. If this was what he had decided, then I would do my level best to protect him. I wouldn't let him become another casualty in my war against the Olympians. Denit continued to look at me for the next step in our plan and I sighed before speaking. 

"We need to find Hephaestus. I saw how the rest of the Olympians treated him. He's not happy with them and I think he could be a good starting point. I tried tackling them head-on and that was near suicide, as you've seen. I think the best way to crumble their organization is to destabilize it from within," I explained while we continued walking.

"And you think Hephaestus is the weakest link? You do realize that he is the one that forges their weapons right?" Denit asked while looking at me as if I had lost my mind. 

"If we disrupt their supply of weapons or better yet, turn their weapons against them, we will finally have a minuscule advantage. It won't be that great, but it is a start," I nodded, as if reassuring myself more than Denit.