Chapter Ten

1798

As I make my way down the long corridor back towards the party, I'm all wrapped up in my own head, so much so, that I don't watch where I'm going and end up bumping right into Mr. Cissell as he steps out of the cellar. He quickly shuts the door behind him, breaking out into a shrewd grin while I mutter my apologies and attempt to brush past him.

But he doesn't allow it. With only a few long strides he catches up to me. "Miss Blackwell, what a wonderful surprise!" He greets me as if we're old acquaintances, and I'm uncomfortable with how familiar he's being.

"Mr. Cissell." I acknowledge him with a polite smile and a terse nod, but keep walking. Something about the man rubs me the wrong way.

He stops, waits a second or two, and then calls out after me, "Seems like that fresh air did you some good."

My pace stalls and I slowly turn around, curious as to what he's suggesting. "Were you spying on me, sir?"

His eyes glisten, and he smirks back at me. "Spying? No. But perhaps Mr. Harrington wasn't the only gentleman coming to your aid; maybe he just got there a little faster."

The door to the cellar opens behind us and we both turn around. Out steps a disheveled looking Nora Potter, her lips swollen, and her pale skin covered in splotchy red patches. She's fluffing up her dark brown curls, but freezes when she spots the two of us. Her violet eyes bore down the hallway, and her red lips tense into a thin, tight line.

I twist my head back to Mr. Cissell, whose smile has now expanded into a full-on grin. He doesn't seem the least bit ashamed to have been caught, so I step closer to him, lowering my voice to a whisper. "It appears you managed to keep yourself occupied quite nicely."

He bows his head but lifts his gaze with a defiant glimmer. "Jealous?"

I almost laugh, but I'm afraid it might encourage him, so instead I shake my head, and walk away, leaving him there with Nora. Whatever game Martin Cissell is trying to play, I have no time for it.

When I make it back to the safety of the ballroom, I spot Charlotte in the corner standing with Tobias. As I draw closer, I see that Tobias is scowling and it suddenly dawns on me that maybe I shouldn't disturb them.

I start to slink away, but Charlotte happens to glance up from their conversation and sees me. An enthusiastic smile springs to her face, and a confused Tobias follows her eyes over to me. His expression changes, and the same artificial smile Charlotte wears appears on his face.

They wave me over.

"Ellie! Where did you run off to?" Charlotte asks as I cautiously approach.

"Sorry. You two looked as if you were deep in conversation, and I didn't want to intrude."

Tobias shakes his head and Charlotte lets out a breezy laugh.

"Don't be ridiculous! You're never intruding." She hooks her arm through mine and pulls me closer. "Now, tell me, what have you been up to?"

"Nothing noteworthy," I lie, knowing this is neither the time nor place to mention the highlight of my evening. "How about you?"

"You name it!" She giggles. "I think I've spoken to everyone here, and my feet are killing me from dancing." She sighs, sounding spent, but happy as her eyes wander over my shoulder. Suddenly she perks up, nervously smoothing down her skirts and fixing her hair. "Well now, what do we have here?"

Foolishly, I turn around, pinching my eyebrows together with displeasure as soon as I see Martin Cissell approaching us. I release a silent groan and turn my back on him, but he walks right past me, acting as if we've never met, and heads straight for Charlotte.