Chapter 12

Katniss let me go and Rory dropped my hand. I just looked at his face. At first there was no emotion. Then anger. All I could do was look at him because I didn’t know what to say. What was there to say? He is mad about the engagement? Really? That’s between Katniss and Peeta, nothing to do with him. Maybe Gale. Wait, no maybe. This will affect Gale dramatically. Rory turned to walk away, and I couldn’t find my voice to stop him. He walked over the direction he came from with his head down and someone was standing where he stopped. Of course, it was Gale. Katniss watched them both walk away, than turned to me.
“Prim, there is nothing we can do about it now. We will find them after the parade and the dinner. Okay?” She says to me. I nod my head, still unable to find my words. This wasn’t happening. We just got home and already there is a problem. I should push this out of my mind until I can talk to him in private. Peeta and I are ushered to the square of the District. We get on a float and crowns are placed on our heads. We ride around the District smiling and waving. Everyone is cheering for us. This crowd I know is actually happy to see us. I smile, thinking of the dinner after this. Getting to spend time with Katniss and maybe Rory will show up for a while. We can talk then. We are driven to the mayor’s house for the dinner. Everyone has put a lot of effort into this because the food tastes delicious. I take my seat next to Katniss and Peeta is on the other side of her. Good, we put Katniss in the center of things. The mayor says a short speech and we all dig in. Everyone here is our closest friends, which means they are fairly poor. That also means they haven’t had full belly’s and will be able to tonight. Dinner goes by fast and everyone starts dancing. We all go out on the dance floor and do the districts dance. Me and Katniss, Me and Peeta, Katniss and Peeta. It’s fun and everyone is laughing at the joy they haven’t felt for a long time. After a few more dances, a slow song comes on. I go back to my seat as Katniss and Peeta start to dance. His hands at her waist and her arms around his neck. They move is small circles. It’s really cute. They talk for a while, but finally she just rests her head onto his shoulder. They sway in small steps to the music. Everything is so peaceful. Then, someone taps my shoulder. I look up to see Rory, looking at me with sorry filled eyes. I just stare at him.
“Prim, I’m sorry. I wasn’t mad at you, or Katniss. I just kind of played that way because I knew Gale was watching. I shouldn’t have and I’m sorry. I hope you will forgive by giving me this dance?” He asks me. He is in a tuxedo that the Capitol surely let him borrow. I nod my head and take his hand. He walks me to the dance floor and grabs my waist. I put my arms around his neck and we look like a smaller version of Katniss and Peeta. Speaking of them, they look at us and smile. I can’t help but grin back.
“Prim, I don’t want to lose you.” Rory says.
“How would you lose me?” I ask.
“By acting stupid like I did today. I shouldn’t have left. I should have just stayed with you no matter what Gale thought.” He says.
“You were just watching out for your brother. That was a kind thing to do and I completely forgive you.” I tell him. I rest my head on his shoulder and we move very slowly. The music is lovely, but dying down. Camera men are watching, waiting for us to make a move, so I do. I look at him and smile.
“Rory, the dinner is almost over. Will you walk me home?” I ask him. He smiles.
“Of course Prim.” He says to me sweetly. I lean in and kiss him. I close my eyes when I do this to savor the moment I have with him. He pulls me closer to him and puts his hand behind my neck. I don’t want to get carried away right in front of everyone to see, and I think he senses it. He lets up a little, but doesn’t stop kissing me. I don’t want him to either. The cameras flash, but I hardly notice them. It feels like it’s just us in the room right now. No one else. When we finally do break apart, it’s because I am breathless. He looks sad about it so I give him one more light kiss. He hugs me. We are told that it’s time for everyone to leave, so we find Katniss and Peeta. They are standing by the door holding hands and waiting for us. We all walk home together. Rory tell me goodnight and kisses me on the cheek. Katniss and Peeta walk in and I follow. We sit in the kitchen for a few minutes before I realize I’m falling asleep. Katniss tells me to go on to bed after she kisses my forehead. I smile and walk to my room. I undress and get into a night gown. I lie in my bed and fall asleep.