Chapter Four

Hurry up biotch. She replied.

I rolled my eyes at the text message and shoved my phone in my pocket. Leave it to Avery to come back with a smart-ass reply.

I unlocked my car and tossed my backpack onto the passenger seat.

I was about to climb inside when I heard my name.

I looked around blindly.

No one ever called my name. I kept to myself and my only friend on campus was Avery. I knew it couldn't be her, because she was waiting for me at Chili's.

"Olivia!" The voice called again.

Someone grabbed my shoulder, and I jumped, turning sharply.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," Grinning, Trace held his hands up in defense.

"It's okay," I mumbled, putting a hand over my racing heart. "What are you doing here?" I asked, and a second later, blurted, "Are you stalking me?"

He chuckled. "You wish I was stalking you." Trace looked me up and down with a smirk and I paled at his words. He pointed over his shoulder at a massive tow truck. "Some guy's car broke down and we're towing it in."

How had I not seen that? I really needed to stop living in my own little world.

He shook his head, and blocked me in, against my car, caging me with his arms.

He gazed down at me intensely for a moment and I squirmed.

Flicking his dark hair out of his eyes, he questioned, "Why are you so awkward around me?"

My mouth flapped open. I hadn't been expecting him to ask that and it wasn't like I could really answer. What would I say? You make me feel all fluttery inside and want to spill my guts to you.

Um, no thank you.

"There's no need to be uncomfortable around me," he cupped my cheek.

I begged to differ.

Especially, when he touched me like that.

I swallowed thickly as I looked up at him. I really wished he'd take his hand off and stop looking at me.

"You remind me of a frightened rabbit," he chuckled. "Your eyes are wide and you keep jumping. Relax," his fingers grazed softly over the curve of my cheek, causing my eyes to flutter closed.

"Are you...petting me?" I asked, opening my eyes.

He grinned, wetting his lips. "I think the term is caressing, Olivia."

"Can you stop?" I begged.

His hand fell away. "I don't think anyone's asked me to stop before." He chuckled, cocking his head. "This is interesting," he rubbed his stubbled jaw, frowning.

"Good," I crossed my arms over my chest, "your ego needs a blow or two."

"I'm always down for a blow or two..." He smirked. "Not the kind you're talking about, though," he laughed.

Oh.

My.

Goodness.

He did not say that.

My cheeks colored, and my eyes darted to the ground, staring at my Converse.

"I was joking, Olivia," he grabbed my chin, forcing me to look at him. "I forget that you're easily embarrassed."