Sissy: 3

Chapter 3 - Sissy

I woke up to my annoying 'Alarm Clock' - Riley (My seven year old sister) screaming like a fog horn down my ear:  "Wake up Clairy, you'll be late for school, idiot!"

"Aah!" I squawked, my voice cracking with sleep. "There is no school - it's the summer holidays!"

"I know! Teeheehee." Riley grinned evilly. She then merrily skipped out of my room in slow motion.

‘Ok, that's it. She wakes me up at god knows what time in the morning, in the holidays, and finds it funny.’ I thought. The slow motion thing had really been the icing on the cake. Furiously, I sat up, ready to lunge at her. Riley saw both my position and expression, and bolted out of the room with a small yelp.

"CLOSE THE DOOR RILEY!" I screamed after her.

To my amazement, Riley sweetly came back to close the door - or at least that's what I thought. She stepped into my room, leaned forward and slammed open the door. That went beyond my limits.

"Moron!" I screeched and leapt up from my bed.

Screaming bloody murder, she ran for her life. Quite literally.

Her short legs couldn't carry her down the stairs fast enough. Just as she reached the kitchen, I grabbed her by the collar and pushed her against the wall.

"Don't you ever, ever, ever do that again! Any of it! I WILL kill you!" I roared, shaking with rage.

Just as I was about to smash her face in, my mum stormed into the kitchen.

"CLAIRE ELIZABETH ROBERT! You put your sister down - NOW!" She bellowed.

Shocked by my mum’s sudden appearance, I dropped Riley stiffly. She landed on her feet and ran between my legs  to cower behind my mum. I gave her a deathly glare, and turned to my mum who was screaming and ranting like a madwoman.

I vacantly stared at the white wall behind her as she droned on. Seemingly coming out of nowhere, my pet snake Precious slithered up the wall.

"How did you get out of your cage, precious?" I mumbled, inquisitively.  The sound of Riley’s panicked screams filled my ears and I looked down to see her pointing at Precious. ‘Great, now I’m completely done for.’ I thought. After a slow outlet of my breath, I diverted my attention from Riley and the wall to my mum.

"Do you hear me Claire? Are you even listening? LOOK at me! Your behaviour is unacceptable, I understand you’ve had a hard time with Max going away and everything, but this is NOT on! You used to be such a sweet little girl, but ever since Max left and you started hanging out with those twins you’ve been out of control. Since when have you had such a hot temper and been so violent? You’re going to anger management and I'm going to sell precious if you don’t get your act together. Now get that thing off my wall. I've just about had enough of you and your stupid pet snake!" She chastised furiously.

I cringed at her threats and opened my mouth to defend myself. Just as I was about to give an amazing excuse to my behaviour, my big brother stepped out from the kitchen and slapped his hand to my mouth, silencing me. 

"Chill mum." He casually drawled. He then slung his arm around my shoulders. "Claire here is due her time of month - aren't you honey?" He patronizingly cooed, pinching my  cheek.

"Jack! Get off!” I furiously mumbled from under his hand.

Ignoring me, he carried on: “I’m sure her violent tendencies will go away within the week. She’s just going through PMS. There’s no need for anger management or taking precious away – all she needs is a good scolding, my style. I’ll take her off your hands for a bit and I assure you, by the time I’m done with her, she’ll be your kind, loving little girl again.”  He gushed persuasively, ruffling my hair. Quickly, he dragged me up the stairs to his room, well before mum could object.