Utopia: 4

Chapter 4: Utopia

(UNEDITED)

"Oh, my god! Is that the time?" I asked Josh, glimpsing the large watch on the wall behind his head.

We had started off our day by going to St.Andrews park, laying in the grass chatting. We then messed around on the swings and had a quick game of tag that ended with us rolling in the grass laughing. Time had slipped away and we sat on one of the parks many hills and watched as the sun set. Romantic - right? It was Josh's idea and of course I loved it. Josh was my faithful boyfriend of one year and we had a happy, caring relationship. He was captain of the football team and had bronze, tanned skin. Sandy blond hair hung across his face and he had an adoring smile that would make any sane girl go crazy. He had a funny, cheeky personality and was annoyingly kind. Another trait that I loved about him was that he was always romantic and this was one of those moments.

After we watched the sun set, Josh had taken us to my favourite ice cream joint - Big G's ice cream parlour.

"Yup! What time do you have to be back tonight?"

"Mum never said, and we both know my curfew (11:00) but I wanna get back for half nine, to be in mum's good-books. She kinda flipped out on me this morning which is unusual for her and I don't want it to happen again." I told him

"Ok, sure thing babe, I've seen how scary your mum can get when she's angry and that's scary!" He replied with a lopsided grin, widening his eyes in mock horror.

"You big oaf!" I replied playfully hitting him on the shoulder.

"I love you too." He replied with a sarcastic smile "Come on now, we don't want the witch to turn you into a toad!"

"Sometimes I wonder why I ever started dating you josh!" I replied with an eye roll, but he could see I was joking.

"Hey! I'm hurt!" He replied, covering his chest with a hand and widening his eyes with a pout on his lips.

We both laughed merrily as I gave him a hug, then he got up to ask for the cheque. Josh payed the waitress and politely bid her goodbye, then turned to me and wrapped his arm around my waist.

"Come on hon! Lets go!" He sang, leading me to his navy blue Volvo. He got in and revved the engine, waiting for me to buckle up.

Ten minutes later, when we arrived at my house, he lead me to the door.

"Thanks for the day out and ice cream, Josh, it was really nice."

"Nah, it was nothing, besides I'm the one that should be saying thank you."

"What for?" I asked bewildered.

"For letting me spent time with the greatest girl in the world - you!"

"Aww, thanks, that's so sweet." I replied, pecking him on the cheek.

"I try my best." He replied, wriggling his eyebrows.

I let out a little laugh then gave him a warm hug.

"Bye Josh, I'll see you tomorrow - Kay."

"Okay sweetie, night night." He replied, giving me a quick kiss on the lips then turning and walking down the driveway.

"Love you!" He cried out just before he got into his car.

"I love you too." I replied, grinning, then I turned to the house and let myself in. Mum was cooking lasagna (my favourite) and I lost myself in the smell. I then headed into the dining room and waited for my dinner to be ready.

*****

I crept out of bed and quietly dressed in my black workout clothes. All around me, the house was pin drop silent. I glanced at the mini grandfather clock in my bedroom and smiled - 23:55 - I'd get there by midnight.