Our time

Aika was driving me to her house in her car, and I told her about what had happened. She was angry, but she was also glad that the vase in my hands wasn't destroyed or emptied. My dog was lying down in the back seat, sleeping.

And snoring.

Loudly.

As Aika pulled into her driveway, we heard the dog fart. We quickly got out of the vehicle before the smell spread, but it was too late. Our nostrils were filled with the scent, and we gagged. It was an entire three minutes before we let the dog out of the vehicle and began to spray it with air fresheners.

After we were done, the only thing we could smell was the artificial scent of lavender and other flowers. Aika told me to go into the house as she handed me the keys, and she went toward her back yard with the dog. I unlocked her front door and entered the house, only to see...two identical young girls, who must have only been four years old, run toward the door calling out "Mommy!"

"You're not our mommy." The one on the left told me, and I shook my head, with a confused look on my face. "Who are you?" The one on the right asked me. I wiped my eyes to check to see if I was hallucinating, but I wasn't. They both took a synchronized step backward.

"I'm..." I began, but didn't know what to say.

"Auntie Senia." Aika said as she walked toward the young girls. They turned around quickly and ran toward her, screaming "Mommy!" Aika got down on one knee and hugged both of the little girls. "How are you guys?" She asked in a high pitched voice, and the girls started talking in sync about what they did with the babysitter, who just walked out of the kitchen at that exact moment.

"Hi, Kel, your you-know-what is in the same place as usual." Aika told the girl. She opened a jar, and sneakily took some money out. As the babysitter walked out, she looked at me, and stopped in her tracks.

"Hey! I know you!" She exclaimed, and I looked at her with a puzzled expression on my face. "You're Mercedes' girlfriend, right?" She asked, and I nodded nervously. "I'm her sister. Well, adopted sister anyway."

"Uh...nice to meet you." I said and put my hand out for a handshake. She held my hand tightly and shook it. It felt like she was going to rip my arm off.

"It is. Here take my number, we need to talk." Her voice was eerily serious all of a sudden, and she handed me a paper with her phone number on it. She quickly opened the front door of my sister's house and left.

"Umm..." I said, and Aika laughed.

We hung out for the rest of the afternoon until my appointment, and then she brought me home afterwards with my dog. I sat down on my couch and thought about the girl.

"Kel...Kel...Kel..." I said to myself over and over again for five straight minutes. "Fuck it." I said and pulled out the piece of paper along with my phone. I dialled the number and put the phone up the my ear.

It rang only once before someone answered.

"Hello?" The girl said, and just as I began to speak, she interrupted me and said that she needed to tell me something quickly.

"How long have you been with Mercedes?" She asked, and I put a confused expression onto my face.

"Since this morning, why?" I told her, and rested on my free elbow and put my head on my fist.

"Ok, did you already say that you loved her? Was it mutual?" She asked me quickly, but I had to think about it.

Strange question I thought.

"Yeah, we did both say it, I think..." I started, hazily remembering the moment. "We were a little drunk though."

"Already got drunk with her, huh?" She said in a nonchalant tone.