Chapter 8.

Brian Bennett.

I'm walking to the gym after getting caught. I have basketball practice the last period.

And all I can think about is how I'm gonna get through this without smashing Matt's face. He's also on the team so it's gonna be hard not to be mad at him when he's not supposed to know about Brinn and me. No one is.

We're kind of friends. Matt and I, that is.

But when I started this thing Brinn, I started to ignore him a bit to avoid the awkwardness, for my own selfish reasons because I hate feeling like shit for not only cheating on my own girlfriend but screwing his. When I found out that he's been giving her a hard time and hurting her physically, I couldn't take it anymore, no one lays a hand on my girl.

"Brian, you okay man?" Mason asks as I change into my gym clothes while staring daggers at Matt.

"I'm fine."

"Whoa there, what's going on?" He asks.

I realise I sound angry, livid actually and try to control myself.

"Nothing why?" I say a bit more calmly.

"You've been staring at the guy for half an hour, did he do something?"

"No, nothing happened I'm just mad at something."

"Something that Matt did?"

"No Mason, just let it go man." I leave the locker room to avoid any more questions.

Mason is my best friend, that's how I met Skylar, he was Katherine's boyfriend back then and Skylar is Katherine's best friend. I didn't realise they were trying to set us up until after we were already a couple. I just wish I would have seen Brinn first, then I wouldn't have this problem of not knowing how to break up with Skylar.

If I tell Mason about me and Brinn, and why I'm mad at Matt, even though he's my best friend he'll go and tell Katherine to gain her trust back. Although the reason they broke up has nothing to do with trust. Mason is one of the most loyal guys I know. The guy won't cheat even if his girlfriend tells him to.

But he's still head over heels in love with her, he'll do anything to get her back. Even if it means blowing his best friend's secret to his ex-girlfriend.

"Alright, two teams." The coach says. "Captain, pick your team."

Mason is the captain of the basketball team. We've been best friends since we were in diapers. Our families are really close so we grew up together. First year in high school we both made the team and a few months after the coach picked us to be candidates for the position. I said I don't want to be captain, so he picked Mason. And I'm glad.

I don't like being in charge. Although some people think it's an honor, I just don't want the responsibility. I just want to play.

"Brian, Matt, Jason and Gregg."

Fuck. I cannot be in the same team with that asshole Matt right now.

"Alright that means, Liam, Jessie, Noel, Tom, and Casper you're the other team." I ignore the coach as he keeps talking.

The game starts, it's a friendly game between us, more practice for next week's game. Our team is winning by 10 points.

"Oops, sorry man." Matt says as he bumps into me by accident.

He's really not making this easy.

"It's okay." I say through clenched teeth and bump into him on purpose.

"Whoa, you okay bro?" He asks.

"Yeah." I walk past him, bumping into his shoulder harshly.

"What's your problem Brian?" He asls angrily earning everyone's attention.

"You're my problem Matt." I push him.

"Hey hey hey, cut it off." Mason intercepts by standing between us.

Matt pushes him.

"Really?" Mason says as calmly as he can while staring at Matt.

"What, I can't hit you cause you're the captain Mason?" He says bitterly.

Mason laughs then suddenly pushes him as well, and that's when the coach walks back in.

And I just know I'm in for some more detention.