Chapter 8

I hung up my clothes in my closet and sighed. It was the weekend and I wouldn't dare leave my room. That left me bored and I was almost done my chores, which left me with absolutely nothing to do.

After hanging up the last of my shirts, I walked over to my bed and jumped onto it. Laying down on its soft mattress, I just stared up at ceiling. Closing my eyes briefly, I thought about yesterday.

Jai and I had stayed there until twelve o'clock just talking. I didn't care about the consequences as we just talked about anything and everything. It was really nice and I felt like we got closer after that.

However, when I got home fear welled up in me. I knew my parents would be mad. They hated when I left the house and they hated it even more when I spent too much time out. It was literally just because they hated the thought of me having any sort of life. My parents were just that cruel.

Luckily though, my parents weren't mad. They just ignored my presence and I had been grateful for that. Silence was always better than wrath in my household.

Suddenly, I heard a rapping at my window. Sitting up quickly, my eyes widened as I had a feeling of who it was. As my eyes went to my window, I saw the silhouette of a boy. I couldn't help but shake my head, even though I was smiling as I got up and went to the window.

Opening it up, I asked, "What are you doing here?"

"Why is that always the first thing you ask?" Jai asked, raising an eyebrow. "I'm kind of offended."

I grinned and moved aside. Jai came inside and I tried to listen in on any sound of my parents. I heard them talking and I had a good feeling that they were too busy to come to my room. Knowing that, I felt happy to see Jai.

"Was seeing me yesterday until twelve not enough?" I asked, also raising an eyebrow as Jai walked to my bed.

As he plopped down on my bed, he simply said, "No, it wasn't."

I stared at Jai who got comfortable on my bed. My bed seemed like a second home to him, and I smiled. For the first time, I felt oddly relaxed on a weekend.

"Aren't you going to join me?" Jai asked.

This time, I walked over to him and plopped down next to him without a care in the world. Turning to face him, I smiled at how bright his eyes seemed. He seemed to be in a good mood.

"What's up?" I asked. "You're oddly happy."

"Yesterday was nice," Jai smiled.

My smile grew. My heart even skipped a beat, but I ignored that. Even with our closeness and our eyes never leaving each other's, I reminded myself that our friendship was all I needed. A relationship was never a good idea for a person like me anyways.

"Can you tell me a story?" Jai suddenly asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I raised an eyebrow. "A story?"

"Yeah." He smiled. "A happy one please. I'm in a really good mood."

With Jai smiling and his eyes so bright, I wanted to keep him this way. Usually, Jai's eyes were like mine. Tired and worn out because of everything he'd seen. Because of that, I was happy to see him like this.

Thinking of a story, I was saddened to notice I didn't have any happy stories in my life. All of them were depressing and none of them were worth sharing. But as I stared at Jai, I knew I couldn't tell him that. He would be disappointed and that was the last thing I wanted right now.