Chapter 27

I was laying on my bed, staring up at the ceiling. Forget, I told myself. Feeling nothing, I begged myself. My throat was constricted and my heart was ramming against my chest as I felt an overwhelming amount of sadness rise up in me.

     I was all alone. I had no one and everyone seemed to hate me. No matter how much I told myself I only needed myself in life, it hurt. Everything hurt and I felt like my life was crashing down on me. It was weighing me down and I was now stuck to my bed, unable to move because I was scared. Scared I would break if I dared to move.

     Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath in. My body was trembling and as I exhaled, I knew I wanted to cry. I wanted to bawl my eyes out because life truly did suck. Everything and everyone sucked, and there was nothing you could do about it but suffer.

      Suddenly, I heard someone tapping at my window. My body froze and my breathing hitched, knowing exactly who it was. Jai. I hadn't talked to him ever since I stormed off and I didn't want to. He was one of the many things causing this overwhelming amount of sadness I felt.

      So closing my eyes, I ignored Jai. I ignored the stab of pain in my chest as I tried to forget everything. That didn't work because Jai began to bang against my window noisily. Even when I didn't react, he kept pounding his hand against it. It became annoying.

      I needed to forget everything and that included Jai. Having him making a ruckus wasn't very helpful, so I sat up quickly. I glared at him and when he continued to hit my window, I got off my bed and stormed over to the window.

       I threw it open and shouted, "What!"

     Jai went inside the window, gently pushing me aside. I flinched at his touch and glared at him, hoping he'd disintegrate from the fire in my eyes. Too bad he didn't.

      He now stood in front of me, looking incredibly guilty. His face was etched with pain and the part of me that still cared about him ached at the sight. But, the hurt part of me wanted to shove him out of the window.

      "Scarlett..." Jai said, sounding gentle. "We need to talk."

     "About?" I snapped. "Nothing. I would like to be alone so please leave."

      "We need to talk about the kiss," he said, ignoring what I said. "Oh god Scarlett. We really need to talk about it."

      "What kiss?" I asked bitterly. "I don't remember any kiss."

      Jai winced at those words and my eyes narrowed at him. He had told me to forget it happened. He told me to let things be 'normal' between us. I didn't understand why he was acting like my actions hurt. I was helping him.

     "The kiss I can't stop thinking about," Jai said, his eyes darkening as they stared at me. "The kiss that is always on my fucking mind. Remember it?"

     My heart couldn't help but skip a beat. The sincerity of his words sent a chill through me, but I told myself the kiss meant nothing to him. He was just trying to make me forgive him.

     "What kiss?" I repeated. "I have no memory of a kiss."

     "Then let me create that memory again."

     Suddenly, Jai stepped forward, closing the distance between us. His lips flew to mine and suddenly, they were kissing me. Gently and passionately in a way that sent my nerves racing giddily throughout me. I gasped as with his lips, he made me feel like I was on fire.

     Without a second thought, I kissed Jai back. I let our soft lips mold together and as he put his hands on my hips to pull me closer, I tangled my fingers into his hair. We were suddenly pressed together and everything about me was burning, even though Jai was so cold. So cold but soothing, and I felt my heart pounding from our touch.