Chapter Twenty Five: Education

My mom didn't cry at all, when I told her I was moving out of the house and in to the dorms at the college. She was so thrilled, she couldn't even wait to drop me off.

"So you got everything you need?" She asked, a little too anxious.

"Yep. I think so."

She had at least helped me get all the boxes of my stuff in to Nate's car. Nate was waiting for me in the driver's seat, and piles of brown boxes had been loaded in to the back of his truck.

My mom gave me a small hug goodbye, with her other arm occupied with holding her cellphone to her ear. She was talking to some new boyfriend who was a lawyer. That's probably where she got all her new money from, and that's probably the only reason why she likes him. Stupid gold digger.

"See you later, sweetheart." She said, before dismissing off in to Nate's car.

I didn't object, and waved goodbye as I shut the passenger door behind me, now seated in the plush comfort of his car.

"Ready to go?" Nate asked, turning down the radio.

"I think so." I checked to make sure I had everything, which I did.

"Alright, then." Nate said, before putting his car in reverse and backing out of my driveway.

I know it was sad, but I was really glad that would most likely be the last time I would see my mother, and the house we lived in for so long together.

I'm sure my mother was thinking the same thing though. She had a new boyfriend, who she was fully occupied with now. I would have been just a distraction. And at least he kept her happy...for now. It was so easy to say goodbye.

We winded through the roads, and I not once looked back.

It took a lot of work to pass my senior year. I took some classes at the school, and some online, but eventually, now a month later, I made it through.

I hoped Jaden, Lynette, and Cassidy could see me now. We had always dreamed of our colleges and future careers. Even though they never got to experience it for themselves, for some reason I felt they would still be happy for me.

Logan was able to move on, thank goodness. The last time I had seen him from his hospital visit, he was an absolute wreck. I think he even got a new girlfriend too.

"You're quiet," Nate noticed.

I shrugged, "Just thinking."

"Are you nervous?"

"No, not at all."

"Excited?"

"I guess so."

"You don't sound like it," he teased.

"No, really I am. Mostly because I didn't end up having to move to Florida with my dad."

"Well, I was talking about college. Aren't you excited for that?"

I laughed, "Sure. But I'll be more excited when I'm graduated from it."

"Why is that?"

I smiled, "Your grandpa already offered me a job at the hospital. I'll get to work with you!"

Nate smiled with me, looking happy. He had come so far since the death of one of our best friends. He was improving every single day.

"That's awesome! But, it's still a little while away. Do you know where you want to work in there?"

"Of course I do. I want to be the front desk receptionist."

His eyebrow inched up, "Receptionist?"