Vengeance Upturned - Chapter 5

Dedication goes to Ishkefae, for winning the Naming contest, be on a lookout for a character named Adric ;) and a mention to BrendaQuimby, the random draw voter winner.

Also, a shout out to MiaSpizman, for suggesting this song which I decided to use in this chapter. (it fits the roof scene)

*****

“Ah… we’re right on time,” Martha said when their night-stop drifted into view.

Off the right side of the road, in an overgrown field, stood a large weathered barn embraced in the soft glow of the setting rays of the sun. The bright blue of the sky faded into pinks and purples while the fluffy clouds seemingly burst into flames.

Henrietta shaded her eyes as she scrutinized the area around the barn, and the patch of forest behind it.

“Seems clear,” she said to Martha.

“Aye, usually is, unless other travelers stop for the night, then we share the space and stories.”

Hoof-beats approached from behind.

“Miss Martha, you should stay here while we go check on the barn. Don’t want no crawlers hiding inside from the daylight,” Mason said as he rode alongside the wagon.

“Won’t hear me arguing against being cautious. If they’ve been up in Atrep, our whole route became that much more dangerous… hmm… might have to charge that extra when selling the goods,” she mused out loud.

“Miss Etta, you will join me and Noah in securing the barn?” Mason said.

Henrietta scoffed. “No one’s ever called me a Miss.”

“Ah, honey, no use in teaching the old dog new tricks. I’ve been trying for years,” Martha said while shaking her head.

Mason grunted but his eyes smiled affectionately. Two fingers placed under his tongue, he whistled once, a short flat sound.

Soon after, Noah joined them as well.

“Noah—”

“Yeah… I think I know. We’re gonna check out the barn?”

“Yup,” Mason gave a short reply.

Henrietta waited for Noah to make a pun, an inappropriate remark of maybe going there alone with her, just as he had teased her whenever he could during the day. But this time, his features remained serious, and his eyes narrowed as he squinted while looking at the barn.

“No movement?” he asked.

“None that I can see. Miss Etta?” Mason said.

“No, didn’t see anything either.”

“Alright, get the wagons a bit closer Miss Martha, then we’ll ride out toward the barn and you stay on the road.”

“Ummm…” Etta cleared her throat. “I’ll just jog behind you two.”

“Right,” Mason nodded. “You don’t 'ave a horse.” He rubbed his stubble as he looked between Etta and Noah. “You’ll ride in with Noah. His is a better horse, because if something happens, something we cannot deal with, we need to be able to ride out fast.” Before Etta could protest, he added, “All of us… I never leave anyone behind and don’t bother trying to argue.”

He shot Etta a warning look, the same one her father had used to give her when she really had no chance but to comply. It was the memory that made her nod.

Vengeance UpturnedOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara