Chapter 14: Family

Dawood stirred in the morning as a ray of sunlight blinded him. He shifted and found a little person snuggling up against him, her arm draped over his stomach as best as she could. He wrinkled his forehead and looked for the little person's face, which was hidden under a fleece blanket. Khadijah grinned as Dawood peeked under the blanket. She blinked and whispered, "Assalam alaikum, Baba." Dawood grinned as Khadijah now straddled his waist and stretched. "Walaikum assalam, Shehzadi. Why were you laying down on the floor next to me?" Dawood asked as he reached up and pinched Khadijah's cheek. "Baba! Don't do that!" Khadijah squealed and found herself being tickled by her father. Khadijah's giggles were music to his ears. He missed her smile, the way she tried her best to take care of him, and the way she said, "Baba." "I missed you," Khadijah answered Dawood's question as she looked at him. "I thought you went back to work." "You know I wouldn't go to work without telling you, right?" Dawood smiled as he stood up and carried Khadijah with him to the bathroom.

     "Right, but what if you disappear? Like magic?" Khadijah asked in wonder as she snapped her small fingers. "Khadijah, why are you so silly?" Dawood chuckled. "How can a giant man like me disappear?" "With magic, Baba," Khadijah said simply and grabbed her toothbrush to brush her teeth. Dawood smiled as he noticed the new toothbrush sitting on the counter. "Aunt Rana put that here this morning, Baba," Khadijah explained. "Please brush your teeth so we can have breakfast." "You have to go to school, right?" Dawood asked as he brushed his teeth. "Mmmhmm," Khadijah nodded as she brushed her teeth. "Alright. Take a shower and get changed so I can drop you off," Dawood said after gargling and wiping his mouth. Khadijah hopped off her stepstool and flashed Dawood a thumbs-up before ushering him out of the bathroom. "Hey!" Dawood cried out in protest as Khadijah closed the door behind him. "I have to shower, Baba! Don't be mad!" Khadijah called out through the door. Dawood smirked and said, "I'm not mad. Come downstairs when you're ready." "Yes, sir!" Khadijah yelled through the door.

     "You're up early," Rana smiled as she spotted Dawood yawning and walking down the stairs, fifteen minutes later. "Khadijah has to go to school," Dawood mumbled and sat at the breakfast table. "Is that why you're up?" "I'm always up," Rana said as she tossed a pancake in the air and caught it neatly on a stack of cooked pancakes waiting on a plate. "I just got back from my morning workout." "You're way too active," Ahmed called out as he sleepily shuffled over to Dawood and gave him a hug. "Big brother!" "Don't be weird," Dawood said as he batted Ahmed away. "Why is he being weird?" "I missed you," Ahmed said mimicking Khadijah's voice. "I don't sound like that," Khadijah said with a huff as she stood on the stairs and placed her hands on her hips. "Ah, Khadijah, you were listening?" Ahmed asked, smiling sheepishly. "You look absolutely beautiful." "Don't be a suck up," Rana scolded as she smacked Ahmed's shoulder lightly with her spatula. "All ready for school?" Dawood asked. Khadijah headed to the fridge and said, "Yes, sir." "I have a little surprise for you," Dawood trailed. He watched as Khadijah glanced at Rana with wide eyes, "Really?" "Don't look at me," Rana said and pointed at Dawood with a fork. "Your baba has a surprise and he hasn't told me anything yet."

     Khadijah carried a glass of milk and her plate to her seat before looking at Dawood in anticipation, "What is it, Baba?" "What would you say to us," Dawood began, "going camping after Friday prayers?" "Really?!" Khadijah exclaimed in excitement and knocked over her milk in the process. "Oh, Shehzadi!" Ahmed cried out and quickly grabbed a washcloth to mop up the milk. "Safe!" "Sorry!" Khadijah cried out as she covered her mouth with her small hands. "It's okay, Shehzadi," Rana smiled. "No harm done." "So? Camping?" Dawood asked. "Just me and you." "Yes, sir!" Khadijah cried out and jumped into Dawood's arms. "I love you so much, Baba!" "I love you too, Shehzadi," Dawood smiled before he pressed a kiss on top of Khadijah's head. If there was one thing Dawood knew, it was that Khadijah relished the time they spent together when they went camping. They usually spent the day by the beach with a tent, sleeping bags, and a nice cozy fire roaring nearby. The beach was restricted to army personnel and their families only and also had night guards always on duty. It was a place Dawood took Khadijah regularly to have some one-on-one time with her.