Chapter 22: Revenge

Dawood grinned at Khadijah as he loaded up the car and said, "You want to call your mama and let her know that we're heading to the theme park?" "Yes, sir!" Khadijah exclaimed and helped Dawood load the car. "Got room for our stuff?" Elliott asked while he held up a backpack. "Sure do," Dawood smiled. He was relieved when he heard that Elliott had gotten tickets to the theme park as well. He really didn't think he'd stay sane with all of Khadijah's squealing, which he knew would ensue once she spotted the Princess Dome. "Khadijah, can I sit with you?" Elliott's daughter, Serena, asked the mini-Khan. "Uh huh," Khadijah nodded and climbed into her seat before patting the seat next to her, "you can sit here." Serena and Khadijah had become good friends once Elliott started bringing her over for play dates. "Baba, can I please call Mama, now?" Khadijah asked as Dawood and Elliott also hopped into the car. "You got it, little lady," Dawood smiled and handed his phone to Khadijah.

     He began to back out of the driveway and heard Khadijah say into the phone, "Assalam alaikum, Mama!" He smiled at the excited gestures the little girl used to explain what they were doing and how they were heading to the theme park of her dreams. "Okay, I know you're busy, but talk to Baba," Khadijah said before handing Dawood his phone. "Assalam alaikum," Dawood answered. "Walaikum assalam," Iman replied. "How're the finals?" Dawood asked. "Tedious. How's my handsome husband?" Iman asked. "He's doing pretty well. He misses you terribly," Dawood answered. "Well, I have a board meeting regarding my job and then I'll be home before you guys. I'm pretty sure I'll have double good news for you then," Iman said happily. "I love good news. I think you'll do awesome in the meeting. Okay, I'm pulling out on the highway. I love you," Dawood said without thinking about it. "Dawood," Iman said in warning. "Oh, come on. You know you want to say it," Dawood grinned and nodded as Iman said, "I love you too." "See? That wasn't too hard. See you later, beautiful," Dawood said and waited for Iman to hang up before putting his phone away.

     "Look at you," Elliott teased, "totally a family man." "I have a gorgeous, insanely intelligent, wife and an equally intelligent daughter who is also beautiful. I couldn't ask for more, man," Dawood grinned. "Yeah, I get you," Elliott nodded as he glanced at Serena. "Dad, I'm okay," Serena scoffed and rolled her eyes, causing Khadijah to giggle. "Hey, I'm your dad. I will always check up on you," Elliott smiled before facing forward. "That's just how fathers roll, right man?" Dawood asked and fist bumped Elliott. "Ugh, you guys are so embarrassing," Serena moaned and buried her face in her hands. "I think Baba is cool," Khadijah smiled as she sided with her father. "See? She's a smart little girl," Dawood laughed and looked at his GPS. They had about a four-hour drive before they arrived at the theme park. He had plenty of games in the back for the girls, including many snacks. Ahmed and Ruby had helped him pack early in the morning before Elliott arrived and he was thankful for that.

     He thought about his life as the passengers in his car began to doze off, one by one. He had gone from a naïve soldier, trying to find his place in this world to a husband who wasn't valued. He lost his mother, lost his wife, and gained a little bundle of joy that steered him onto the right path in life. It was because of Khadijah that he tried to be a better person, which intrigued Iman. It was because of his princess that he found the love of his life. She was perfect in every way to Dawood. She never hid how she felt, something Annie had done a lot. In fact, he had never given Annie a second thought once he married Iman. Iman completed him, which was something he never thought to be possible. She was a wonderful mother and a wonderful soul mate.

     "This must be what being in heaven feels like," Dawood whispered to himself while he thought about his perfect life. For the first time in his life, he was at ease. He felt as if he had no worries and that was a welcome feeling for him. He prayed five times a day, fasted in the month of Ramadan, gave his required charity, and believed in Allah as the one true Creator. All he had to do was go on the required once in a lifetime pilgrimage to Makkah, Saudi Arabia and he would be able to complete the five pillars of Islam that were required from every able bodied Muslim. He had never felt so spiritually fresh as he did at that moment. It was as if all of the hardships he had ever faced were distant memories and this was his reward for being so patient.