Chapter 17: Unity

Dawood stood up and glanced at Rana, "What's wrong?" "Uh, need to tell you something," Rana said and smiled at Dawood. "Can I stay here? I want to help Ms. Abdullah," Khadijah asked as she glanced at her father hopefully. "That should be fine, Shehzadi. Your baba and I are right outside," Rana smiled and motioned for Dawood to follow her. "What's up?" Dawood asked as Rana fixed her hijab and crossed her arms across her chest. "I posted about Farrokh's story on an American Muslim military website. Over seven hundred current and retired Muslim military members are coming to his funeral to stand in solidarity with fellow Muslims that are currently serving in the US military," Rana explained. "What?" Dawood asked in surprise. "I had to do this. Especially since we live in a city with many military families. We belong in this community, Dawood. How dare someone come here and say that we don't belong? Muslims are in nearly every field of work here. We need to acknowledge that we ARE functioning members of society," Rana said with a furrowed brow. "I guess that makes sense, but how will they all get here? Where will they stay?" Dawood whispered. " Most said not to worry about all of that. They'll manage. They're military men and women. You know better than anyone that our military teaches us to adjust to situations. Don't worry about that. Just worry about what you'll say to them. Just worry about giving Farrokh the funeral he deserves. I know you'll be speaking in front of them all before his funeral. You have to speak. This is the time to speak for people like us, the ones who don't fit the mold that society has made to characterize Muslims. Your stand today will empower those that will be born and raised here in future generations. Your words will help guide your own daughter. You have to speak, Dawood," Rana insisted with a whisper.

     Dawood nodded and opened the door to Nedim's office only to find Khadijah helping Iman carry files from the table to Nedim's desk. He had vowed to make sure he'd be a part of society only for Khadijah's sake, so she'd have a society that she could be proud of. "Baba, you're back!" Khadijah cried out and gave her father's knees a hug. "She seems very attached to you," Iman said as Dawood and Rana sat down across from her. "She is. She's his princess," Rana said and smiled. Khadijah added, "I'm YOUR princess too, Aunt Rana." "Yes, you are," Rana smiled as she held Khadijah and kissed the top of the little girl's head. "I just got off the phone with Sister Tehmina. It seems Brother Farrokh's remains will be flown in on the early morning flight in three days. This was the updated information," Iman whispered and glanced. She at Khadijah as the little girl said, "We can't let anyone else say he was bad. He was a good guy, Ms. Abdullah." "I know, little one," Iman nodded and glanced at Dawood as the single father placed his little girl on his lap. Dawood looked at his daughter seriously and said, "Even if the world says he's the worst guy in the world, you know better. You know who he was. You know him better than people who had never met him. We have to be extra respectful to his mother and brother. You know that, right?" "Yes, sir. I'll hold Auntie's hand if she gets too sad," Khadijah said innocently. Dawood smiled and nodded as he held his pride and joy. He would make sure she listened to his words the day of the funeral because he hoped those words would help her as she grew up.

*****

     Dawood looked at himself in the mirror as he wore his dress blues. He made sure every detail to his uniform was perfect before placing his hat on and giving himself another once over. He knew that hundreds of military members, active or not, were currently doing the same, preparing for Farrokh's funeral. He knew that Tehmina had already flown out to receive Farrokh's remains. He knew this because Murad, Farrokh's younger brother, had called him and tearfully told him that he had just helped prepare his brother's body for burial. "He's gone, sir. He's really gone," the young man sobbed and hung up after telling him when they were expected to arrive in the city. The honor guard was ready to give Farrokh full honors and would accompany him all the way until he was laid to rest. He knew that since this was a private ceremony, they weren't required to be there, but was appreciative that they had volunteered, especially when they heard that Farrokh nearly didn't have a funeral.