'Til Death Do Us Part

The fluorescent lights flickered overhead as I slowly slid across the polished tile. The emptiness of the building seemed to emphasis the stagnant air that slowly choked what little life was still left in the lab. I moved with a purpose I hadn't felt in a long time towards the sickly yellow light creeping out of the open doorway at the end of the hall. A small grin pulled at the ends of my mouth as I approached my final destination.

The sole occupant of the room seemed blissfully unaware as they moved from station to station, mixing different substances and cataloging the results. I stayed just out of sight to observe, basking in the musk of his ignorance. With his back to me I eased my form out of the shadows to which I had grown so accustomed. His eyes met mine in the reflection of the glass, and his reaction was met with the shattering vial that slipped from his now shaking fingers.

"You're... you can't be here..." He had turned to face me, but couldn't look me in the eyes.

"Oh, but I am darling." The ring glinted in my hand as it moved between my fingers. "Hope you don't mind."

"I just can't believe..." He moved away from the wall and found a chair. "I thought you were gone."

"Now that is the silly things about thoughts. For people like you, the stupid ones tend to last longer." He stayed silent a moment as I lowered myself to a seating position alongside him. "Didn't you miss me?"

His head snapped up, and I could see the hopelessness pooling in his eyes. "How are you here?"

"Long story sweetie; don't want to go into details. What I am curious about is what you are doing." His gaze nervously flittered around the room before ending on the empty hands in his lap.

"I just... I was just working I guess." A air of confusion settled around him as he questioned his actions for the past few hours. "I don't really know..."

"Just as expected. I had only hoped that things would work out this way." His baffled look teased a laugh from my dry lips.

"I don't understand. What's going on?" The concern plastered on his face only grew as I lightly patted his hair.

"Don't worry your pretty little head about it. You will find out soon enough." I picked myself up once more and moved to the drawer furthest to the left, three down. Even though I hadn't been in here long, I knew just where he had left it after that night. I could almost taste the palpable fear that trickled into the room from him as the smooth silver reflected the light of the lamps silhouetting my misty figure. Seconds turned to eons as I closed the gap between us, thrusting the cool blade between his rib cage and twisting. His limp body fell on mine and the raspy sound of his labored breathing became the only sound in the room.

"But you... you're dead."

I smiled and moved my head closer, my cold lips brushing his ear. "But darling, so are you. Not so fun being on the other side of the blade is it?" His body tumbled to the ground with a quiet thud as I yanked the knife free. "Do you understand now? You killed me, and now I am returning the favor." Unable to keep solid, the knife clattered to the ground. The blood seeped from his cooling body, and I descended to have one last look into his lifeless eyes. "Before you go, I wanted to remind you of our wedding vows. Till death do us part. I know you thought that was the end after you got rid of me, but boy do I have a surprise waiting for you." I pressed my other hand against my face and pressed my lips against it in one final kiss; moving away I blew my kiss towards him as I drifted towards the door. I turned back one final time to see the last breath leave his body. "See you in Hell."

Did the end surprise you? Could you see the story ending in a different way? Let me know in the comments! Thanks for reading!