Unexpected Shadows

I anxiously glanced down the street before stepping out of the secluded alleyway and into the open. I shook the wetness off my fingers and headed in what I thought was the direction of home. The moon shone briefly through the clouds allowing just enough light to make out the silhouettes of my fellow pedestrians. I stepped quietly, afraid to alert anyone to my presence by stepping on the leaves that littered the sidewalk. My breaths calmed the further I got away from the alley and was finally able to stop shaking. My head hung low as I trudged through the thick musty air that defined my town and I turned, only a few blocks from home.

I shivered as a slight breeze whistled between the rows of houses, I only stopped when I heard the distinct sound of footsteps behind me. Bathed in the glow of the streetlight was a dark figured, faced covered in the shadow of a black hoodie. A small glint of light caused my pulse to quicken and slowly turned back, hoping to make it home without an encounter. However, when I heard the footsteps pick up again behind me I risked a quick peek, and the figure was gone. All caution I had was thrown to the wind as I started running. I didn't stop until someone yanked me back with a grip on my wrist.

"You really think we wouldn't find you after what you did?" I could hear my heartbeat thudding in my ears as knife slid down alongside my neck. "It will be my pleasure to give you the same courtesy you gave Cartyr," I closed my eyes and felt a rage stir inside me. In one swift motion I grabbed my assailant's arm and threw him over my shoulder onto the ground. Dazed on the ground I spun his knife arm around and jabbed it into his chest, The life slowly left his eyes and blood started to pool out around his cooling body. I stumbled backwards, finding blood on my hands. So much blood. The wind picked up and the light post flickered in the distance. The man's cold gaze fixed on where I used to be. I couldn't take it anymore. I turned in the opposite direction and ran a horrified sentence frozen on my lips.

"Not again..."

This is my shortest story, but I hope you like it! (haha, shortest short story.) Did anything surprise you? Let me know in the comments. Thanks for reading!