Chapter 35

When the school bell rang, I sigh and put my phone in my pocket. I think I sigh too much. I like to think it's because I don't care. I'm just going to stop and pick up Taco Bell. Then I'm going to go home and cry over Nicholas Sparks movies until it's time for bed. Then I'll get up and repeat until I'm dead. This is going to be my life for the next ten years before I cave in and off myself.

"Hey, Sky. What are you doing?" Alex walks up behind me. I stop abruptly and turn towards Alex. "What do you want?"

"Can I talk to you?"

"Go away," I turn and walk towards my car.

"Sky," he whines. " I just wanted to talk to you."

"No."

"Please."

"I said no,"

"I'll follow you home if you don't"

"Stalker, that's weird."

"Not stalking. Desperate is the right word."

"Still weird."

"I want you," he sighs. I set my backpacks down on my hood. "What?"

"I choose you. I want to be with you." I shake my head and unlock my car door. "Geez, really? You choose me? Little old me? How did I ever got so lucky to have Alex Follese choose me! Oh my god!" I put my backpack in the back seat.

"I'm not a fucking second choice, Alex."

"I didn't say you were. I said I choos-"

"I don't care." I get into the driver's seat and put my seat belt on. Alex knocks on the window. "Sky, are you seriously mad that I picked you?"

"I know you picked her first. It wouldn't surprise me if she dumped you and that's why you're here." I turn the engine on and put the car in drive.

**

Me: he chooses me

Dan: huh?

Dan: are you sleep texting again?

Me: Alex

Me: he came up to me on the way to the parking lot

Me: and was like "I choose you"

Dan: AW HE LISTENED TO ME

Me: YOU TALKED TO ALEX

Me: I THOUGHT YOU HATED HIM

Dan: he apologized

Dan: I almost got him to admit he likes me more than you

Me: you're straight too

Dan: I know bit I have fun messing with him

Me: gross

Dan: let me guess. You rejected him

Me: I did not –reject- him

Dan: if he said he chose you and you said no

Dan: that's rejecting

"Seriously, Sky!" My mom yells. "You have somebody here for you!" I hear the footsteps up the stairs and I know she's coming to yell at me for not answering her within one second.

My mom opens the bedroom door. "When did you start making friends other than Dan?"

"Who is it, mom?" She shrugs. "Alex. He told me not to tell you."