Chapter Eighteen

I spent a considerable amount of time in shocking pain

I spent a considerable amount of time in shocking pain. Apparently, healing from an injury caused by my own magic was different than healing from any other wound. It was slow and excruciating, as if the edge of my magic had been laced with a poison I found I wasn't immune to.

Despite all this, I was relieved. I was relieved that the attack had landed on me and not on those who surrounded me.

Only a day had passed since the incident. After the initial inquiry of those within the mansion who had heard my screams, Levi had resumed responsibility for my wellbeing with due diligence. There wasn't much he could do beyond cleaning my wounds and preventing further blood loss. After a few hours, the pain was tolerable and I had reached a point of feverish exhaustion. I spent the rest of the night quiet between whimpers as my body began to heal on its own.

The following night, Levi was pacing in front of the bed, his shoulders tense with anxiety. He continuously threw glances between my form, still weak and injured on his sheets, and that of a folder on a nearby table. A frustrated growl erupted from his throat before he ran his fingers through his hair with irritation.

After finally coming to a decision, Levi strode over to me, leaning forward carefully. For a moment, he watched me quietly and then he reached to brush a lock of wet hair from my feverish skin affectionately.

"Are you there, Katia?" He called to me sweetly, his touch lightly running over my cheek. His words were warped and faded in my mind. I couldn't find the strength to open my eyes and respond to him.

Levi shifted closer, leaning over me before sliding his arms under my body cautiously. A flame of pain pulsed through me as he lifted me from the bed, causing a whimper to escape me, but the pain faded once I was settled in his arms.

I was unaware of what he meant to do with me. With graceful ease, he carried me through the hall quietly, his eyes watching me as I leaned into his chest as comfortably as I could behind the dull throb of pain across my chest. When he stopped in front of a specific door, he seemed to hesitate with uncertainty. Frustration wrote across his features and he spent another minute fighting with himself.

Before he could move further, the door opened roughly.

"Oliver," Levi composed himself quickly, straightening his shoulders and clearing his face of emotion. "I need your help." The words were obviously not familiar on Levi's tongue. Oliver stood in the doorway with a startled expression, but when his gaze fell on my presence in Levi's arms, his face darkened significantly.

"You can't bring her here," Oliver told Levi, breathing in only partially before sharply stiffening. He shook his head, stepping back as if meaning to shut the door on Levi and consequently me. "Nope. Sorry."

"Oliver," Levi called out in a hushed voice, stepping forward quickly. Oliver stepped back just as quickly, leaving an opening for Levi to block the door. "I need you to take care of her." Oliver glared at him.