Chapter Thirty-Four

I gasped and jerked awake sharply, sitting up in a panic. My breath was sharp in my lungs as I took in my surroundings, my eyes skating over my familiar bedroom that I had yet to properly make mine. For a moment, nothing made sense. And then I felt the sting of unhealed wounds along my body and aches of bruises.

I looked down to find my clothing tattered with tears and blood, my hands still spotted with drying blood. Jax's blood.

"Don't worry," Sebastian's voice spoke from beside me, startling me immensely. My bed frame trembled and I gasped before quickly looking around, a whisper of fear crawling through me. I have done my duty. "Calm down, Katia. Look at me."

Lights flickered around me as I turned to him, caught by his dark gaze. Sebastian reached for me and I jerked away with fear; afraid I would hurt him. He tilted his head forward pointedly, frowning as if confused.

"There's something wrong with me," I whimpered, hugging myself as a random glass of water shattered nearby. I squeaked with fear, lifting my knees to my chest. It was as if my power was disconnected from me, lashing out as its own entity.

Sebastian moved forward, crawling towards me onto the bed.

"Stay away from me," I screeched as a rush of wind slipped past me and swiped at him. A sudden shock of blood skated across Sebastian's features, causing him to turn his face to the side in response to the attack. I lost my breath, widening my eyes in horror as he turned his gaze back to me with guarded eyes. A long, thin gash was sliced across his cheek as if I had cut him with a knife.

Sebastian continued towards me and for a moment I wondered if this meant he would end me after all. I froze as he reached for me. And then he pulled me to him, holding me in his arms purposely. I couldn't breathe. I feared even a breath would warrant another attack on Sebastian. I preferred death.

"Your powers are on the surface," Sebastian said to me, lowering his face so that his words blanketed me comfortably. He moved his hands over the flesh of my arm, drawing a light so vibrant that it startled me to see. "Don't be afraid, Katia. It will settle soon. It's as if you've overcharged yourself. The power will act out, but it will find balance again."

I felt tears begin to fill my eyes.

"I hurt Jax," I cried mournfully, the guilt burning at me. "I hurt you. I didn't think that was possible. Why did this happen?" I clung to Sebastian fearfully, feeling my power whip out with my tears, biting at random objects nearby. I stifled my cries, afraid of my own abilities.

"You touched the heart of a Phoenix," Sebastian told me honestly, tightening his grip on me protectively. "I'm sorry. It was a long deactivated object. I didn't think it would do anything to you or else I would have ordered Jax to get rid of it."

I sniffled, calming as Sebastian stroked my arm soothingly.

"The heart of a Phoenix?" I asked uncertainty. It didn't look like a heart, but then I could see the image of the man pulling a similar orb from his own chest.

"When a Phoenix is... sacrificed, for lack of a better word, they don't completely die," Sebastian explained carefully, "Most powerful magic comes with a price. The last incantation leaves behind an artifact; a piece of the Phoenix. While the last incantation is used to preserve information and further the life of future witches, the heart of the Phoenix can do the opposite. It can destroy entire covens." I listened quietly, trying to make the connection that I was a part of this cycle. The idea that I could have been used for the Exodus coven and all that would have been left was an orb; my heart; something that could destroy lives... it felt unreal.