Chapter 13: Affectionate Stares?

Shadé

It had been a month after that crazy day I announced my pregnancy to the King and Queen. They reminded me that today was my appointment date. I was extremely excited for some reason, this baby has me super giddy.

I actually thought I'd gotten fired that day, when Gina told me to pack my bags. I cried so hard that day, I felt as if the moment I stepped out of this castle, I'd immediately drop dead. I wouldn't have anyone out here to help me out if I were fired. Gina had told me that I was able to stay. And believe me, I was beyond the point of graciousness.

Flashback

I was leaned over the edge of my suitcase and dying of tears. At some point, the tears stopped flowing, simply because my body wasn't able to produce anymore. I cried myself dry. They stopped, but, I was still distraught. After about half an hour of playing with a zipper on my suitcase and inwardly crying a river, I heard a knock at the door. "C-c-c-come in," I hoarsely said between hiccups.

I didn't look up from my zipper until I heard Gina's quiet, yet authoritative voice. "Folashadé, I've come with a decision..." she trailed off. I suppose she was waiting for me to look at her, but I didn't see the need to do so. "I'm going to keep you here, but you'd have to be on maternity leave when you reach six months," she continued.

My head bolted up and I darted right over to Gina and pulled her into a tight hug. I can't believe she's actually keeping me. "T-t-t-thank you, G-Gina! T-thank you so-so m-m-much," I hiccupped into her shoulder. She pushed me off and mumbled something about me being worse than Vincent. I smiled, but raised an eyebrow.

Huh? What did she mean? Oh well, I'm not fired. That's all that matters!

Present Time

To me, that was all that mattered. I didn't care about anyone anymore but myself and this baby. My relationship with Tiffany is at negative one hundred right now. I mean, who fights a pregnant woman? Even if she's a few weeks pregnant and cussing you out, you don't do that shit! Sometimes she really tempts me to give her round two, after I give birth, that is.

Speaking of birth. 'Master' Vincent hasn't said two words to me besides 'good morning/afternoon/evening' and 'tea please'. I wasn't really complaining, I didn't really want to talk to him either, he's already put me in enough deep shit. But nonetheless, I would catch him watching my stomach. And it was always the same expression. It wasn't disgust, or anger, or even regret. He'd stare at my stomach lovingly, affectionately. Why he watched my stomach that way was beyond me. I hadn't told him that it was his, did I? No, I hadn't. But, somehow, he knew; like someone told him. Did they?

"Darling, you'd better get ready. I already reminded Gina you're going and your appointment starts at eleven," Miranda warned me while I made my way to the kitchen with dirty dishes.

"Don't worry, Your Highness, I'll be ready by then. It's only ten o' clock," I laughed placing the dishes on a cabinet and wiping my hands against my apron.

She smiled, specifically at my stomach, which hadn't quite grown a bump just yet. "Frank is going, yes," she asked, looking back up to my face.

I nodded. "Of course, he is the father. I'm sure he'd want to know how far along I am," I said politely. God, I was a great liar when it came to things like this.

"That's sweet, young love," she mused as I was getting ready to head to the Servant's Quarters. "Oh, before you go, I wanted to tell you, Vincent wants to tag along," she added.