Chapter 1

I never thought this day will come. Ya Allah I am going to college, and not just any college, the most well-known private college in England. Ever since we arrived in Bradford 6 years ago, that's the only thing I looked forward too. I am tired of seeing my mother cleaning people's houses for money. I kept going back to all the things my family had to face to get here and how long it took for me to stand here, in front of my very first class in college. After standing in front of class for more than a century, yeah that's how long it felt like. I finally took a breath and stepped into my Business Communication class. I was early as usual, but I didn't seem to mind it. I have always been early; it's just a habit I guess. I looked at my watch and the time was 10:45 am. The class was about to start in 15 minutes and there was still not even a single soul in class. I remember back home in Turkey, all the kids use to come to class super early just so we can all talk about our days and discuss our homework. How different it is here in England, everything seems so fast, even though I have been here for almost 6 years, everything still seems all foreign. I have only one friend, her name is Sobia who works with her mother at a bakery shop near our flat, but she doesn't go to college so I don't even see her that often.

When I finally looked up from the sketches that I started drawing when I got lost in my thoughts, I noticed that the class was starting to get full. All the kids were coming in, wearing top-notch clothes, girls with expensive handbags and jewelry. That's the only thing that kept me worried for all these days. I was not like these people. I was from a middle-class immigrant family, who still had an accent and had a laptop that was given to me by my mother's boss 4 years ago. The only reason why I was here is because somehow I turned out to be smart in high school and got a full scholarship here; otherwise not even in a million years I would imagine coming here.

I keep looking around, hoping that maybe, just maybe someone would actually sit beside me and maybe say hi. Why was it like that? Was I really that invisible that nobody would want to sit next to me or even smile? Stop it, I told myself. I can't let these days get in my way. I can't let people affect me like that. The teacher finally came into the classroom. From the moment he walked it, I knew he will be a good teacher. I could tell. My mom tells me it's a gift. I can sense it I guess. It doesn't take me long to figure out what people want or how they are. Instantly, my teacher looked up to the entire class and introduced himself. After introducing himself, he directed everyone in the class to stand up one at a time and introduce themselves and tell a fact about themselves. Since I was sitting all the way in the back, I was thankful that I am not going to be the first one to speak. When other students started introducing themselves, they used facts like how they have visited tropical beaches, how they plan on starting their own business, how big their house is, and what their favorite 5-star hotel is and so on. Jeez, my turn was coming soon and I had no idea what to say. I just didn't know. There wasn't any cool fact about me that anyone here could relate to. Facts about me are too silly, too obvious, and too ordinary. I can't tell people that I am one of those weird people who likes the sound of thunder, or who still watches cartoon with my little brother every Sunday morning, or who loves cooking and going on long walks with my mother.

My turn was the next one, after a girl few desks away from me finished telling the class about how she attended Paris Fashion Week last summer, all the eyes turned towards me. I instantly felt self-conscious but I didn't let it show on my face. I placed my hands on the steady myself as I rose up from the chair.

"Hello everyone" I said with a smile. But again only saw wondering silent eyes reflecting back. "Well my name is Laila Barakat, I came to England 6 years ago. I live with my mother and brother. He is 11 years old and loves playing football. There isn't any cool fact about me really. I volunteer at an animal shelter in the weekends and I received a full scholarship from this college and this is how I got here." I said all of that as fast as I could, without taking any break in between and sat back down immediately.

When the class introduction was over, I kind of felt relieved. It felt liberating to let everyone know who you are and why you have the right to be right to be here just like everyone else. My teacher continued on with his lecture, but I still saw some heads turning my way. I was used to this type of a reaction. The same thing happened to me in high school as well. Nobody wanted to talk to me, to get to know me, all they did was stare at me. I was the only girl in this entire college who wore a hijab. There were other muslim girls in my class too, but even they didn't talk to me.

When the teacher started his powerpoint slides, I opened up my the Notepad on my laptop and started taking notes. After typing what felt like hours, I suddenly heard someone sitting down next to me. I looked up and saw pair of brown fierce eyes. I saw him for the first time; he did look like someone straight out of magazine.

"Do you mind?" He said, looking annoyed. So he was one of those guys, who knew they were good looking and just couldn't bother to be nice to people. Of course.

"You are sitting on my bag so you are the one who should mind." I said back to him. My bag was stuck under the chair leg.

He looked at me as if I was speaking in Gibberish. After staring at me for a few seconds, at last he moved his chair and I picked up my bag and placed it on my lap. I went back to typing my notes but I still felt him stealing a glance or two my way. The class went on and on and for the homework my teacher, Mr. Charlie assigned us to write a report on different communication channels that we use in today's society. I took down all the notes and closed my laptop. The lights turned back on and I gather all of the stuff and placed it in my bag and head out.

I was waiting at the bus stop when I saw some of my classmates getting into their cars and driving off, but not him. The guy who was sitting next to me in the class was just sitting on his bike and looking my way. I tried ignoring him and starting wishing for the bus to come a little early. I adjusted my red hijab and clenched my bag a little tighter. Why is the bus taking so long? Jeez. I better call my mother to see if she can pick Sabir, my little brother from school today. I dipped my hand in my bag to only find out that it was missing. I checked my bag, and the pockets of my jacket and I still didn't find it.

"Looking for this?" I heard a familiar voice from across the street. When I looked up, I saw him again. Yes that guy, who else. I could see an evil spirit in him already. I saw my dearly blackberry in his hand, and without a second thought, I marched across the street and extended my right hand. "This is mine" I said.

"And?" He chuckled. I can't believe this guy! What does he think of himself?

"And it's mine so give it back" I snapped back almost snatching it from his hand but he was quicker than me.

"Not without a price" He smirked.

"I don't pay for what's mine" I fired back.

"Oh but I don't give things back that easily, darling!"

"I am not your darling, now give it back or else I'll call the security." I tried to scare him. Honestly, I had no idea how to call the security; I didn't even see any guards in the school.

"What's your name?" He asked me.

"None of your business." I stood there with my hands crossed over my chest. "Now stop wasting my time, I have to make a phone call".

"Give me your name and the phone is yours" He demanded again.

"Fine, Laila." I said it and snatched my phone from his hands successfully this time and started walking away. I can't believe this guy.

"I'll see you soon Laila" He yelled back, mocking me clearly.

"You wish" I mumbled back. There is no way I'll be sitting next to him in class from now on.

I called my mother and told her to pick up Sabir and got inside the bus. Few minutes later I received a text from Sobia who wanted to meet up so I replied back instantly with a yes and headed straight to her bakery. I desperately needed some of her auntie's homemade cupcakes.

________________________________

Don't forget to vote, comment and be awesome! Next update will be coming soon. 

xoxo