Chapter 15: Home Life

The garage door slammed shut, making me jump, and the dog start barking.

"Good heaven, Quint," snapped my mother.

I crawled over to the other side of the couch and peered into the kitchen. My dad looked ready to kill someone.

"You're going to bring the whole house down."

"I'm so tired of these fucking werewolves," he exclaimed. "That man had the nerve to tell me that I shouldn't involve myself. Aden is my damn son. I don't care who he's mated to."

"Quint," said my mother in a sharp tone. "Language. If you need to take a drive around the neighbor to calm down, do it. Because words like that will only make things worse. Titus is still Aden's husband, and our son is sitting in the living room listening to this."

A lump form in my throat, and I quickly darted across the couch and turned the volume up. They weren't saying anything. I chewed on the side of my cheek. This was super awkward. The door to the garage open and closed, and I heard my dad's truck engine start soon after. The house was still. Demon had even shut up. The sound of the TV and pans clanking together in the kitchen couldn't even ease this tension.

"Aden?"

"Yeah," I replied.

"Can you come here?"

I lifted myself out of the couch and shuffled to the kitchen. Leaning against the doorway, I folded my arms. "What did you need?"

She wiped her hands on her apron. "Don't take what your father said personally. This whole werewolf thing has been hard on him from the beginning. He knows too much about their kind, especially for someone in your position. It's something we both worry about."

I twirled a piece of my hair. "I know. Up to this point everything's been great, Mom."

"That's why I can't understand what happened." She sighed, before coming back to making noodles for dinner. "Can you come stir for me?"

Going to the stove, I grabbed the long spoon, sticking out of the pot of chicken soup and stirred as she dropped in the noodles. "Are we over, Mom?" I whispered. "We didn't even make it six months, and we're done. I screwed up everything."

"Aden." She didn't even bother to wipe off the flour from her hands before hugging me.

I didn't care. My emotions were everywhere. I loved Titus, but he hurt me. I honestly didn't know how to feel.

"What am I going to do? I feel so stupid."

She patted my cheek. "You are going to keep stirring that pot, and leave the rest to your father and me. You can be damn sure Northern Ridge will be the safest place on earth, before I let you go back."

I smiled, twirling around the spoon. "You swore."

My mom threw up her hands. "Your father is bring it out in me. This poor old woman can't take all this drama."

Sucking in my lips, I watched her slice up the remain dough. "You're not old."

She laughed, rolling her shoulders back. "And people say I didn't raise you right."

***

I couldn't sleep. I had spent the last hour tossing and turning, and I was debating about taking a hot bath. It was better than just laying here staring at the ceiling. I ran my arm up and down the empty place beside me.

"Damn it." I couldn't believe I was doing this.

Throwing back the covers, I climbed out of bed and tiptoes into the hallway. I didn't need my parents waking up and catching me. Slowly creeping down the stairs, I went to the kitchen. Demon was curled up in his bed. Kneeling down, I patted his head. His eyes opened, and he licked my hand.