Chapter 35: Head Idiot

Titus wrapped me in a thick blankets. It was hard to remain sitting up. My head was pounding and weighed more than usual.

"Where are we going?" I whispered when he picked me up.

He kissed my forehead. "You're going to Midfield. They have a medical team that's going to look after you."

I shook my head, turning towards his chest. "I want to stay here."

"I'm going to Midfield too."

"Oh," I breathed, smiling. "Okay."

He carried me out to the main chamber. Darius and Xavier along with several other pack dominants were waiting.

The red werewolf ruffled my hair. "You'll be okay," he said softly in my ear. "No matter what, you'll be okay. I promise."

I took a shaky breath, not really understanding what he meant. I didn't understand what any of this meant. I just wanted to be with Titus and go back to sleep.

My mate took me to the parking lot. He sat down in the back seat of an ATV and set me on his lap. Darius was driving with his father in the passenger seat. The small fleet of vehicles started down the road soon after.

"Titus?"

He peered down at me.

"We're going the wrong way."

Beaming down on me, he tucked the blankets tighter. "We have a helicopter waiting to take you. You don't have to be stuck in a car for twelve hours with Darius."

"Oh, that's good."

I looked above me. The trees were a mixture of green and white. My first winter in Northern Ridge. I'd probably freeze, but I was excited to experience it. The treetops disappeared to reveal a baby blue sky. Wisps of clouds were scattered here and there. It seems like it was going to be a nice day.

The ATV stopped, and Titus climbed out with me in his arms. We walked into a clearing where Trevor stood in the middle. I spotted the helicopter.

"We can see River," I said in a hoarse voice.

"Maybe." Titus tightened his hold on me.

Something wasn't right.

"Titus?"

He gave me a weak smile.

"So you're finally here?"

The deep voice cleared my mind for a moment. My eyes shot over to the other line of werewolves.

"You can hand over my mate," snapped Jet, bearing his teeth.

Darius started to laugh louder than necessary. "You actually think Aden's your mate." He folded his arms. "I'm pretty sure my brother marked him first."

Jet took a step forward. Trevor shifted, shredding his suit. The black werewolf stepped between the pair. He was taller than both, and I could feel his presence was greater than any of the future alphas.

"We're not fighting about this." He glanced between the two groups. "Both packs have agreed to the death match and that is how it will be decided. Am I understood?"

No one moved, but heated stares were still exchanged.

"This is a conflict between Jet and Titus now. Whoever wins, that is where it ends. If either of you start a war over this," he looked at the two reigning alphas, "Midfield will step in."

"Then let's make it clear," stated Oscar. "Winner gets Aden. I don't need Xavier hiding him among the humans, and WIR getting in the way of my son claiming his mate."