Chapter 20

December 20th

Shane opens the small cafe door for me to walk into.

"Is a booth alright?" Shane notions toward the small green booth in the middle of the cafe.

I nod, tucking some hair behind my ear.

I slide into the booth, becoming instantly chilled.

"So... I don't know if this counts as a date or anything, but I've never really been out with a girl before." Shane admits. "You know, like dinner or coffee or anything."

I meet his eyes and give a slight smile, "Me either."

"Good," he chuckles, picking up a small menu, "Then I can't f*ck this up that badly." He leans in to whisper.

I smile slightly, rubbing my arm.

"I just want a hot chocolate." I tell him.

Shane clasps his hands and sets them on the table, leaning over, "What do you say we grab the drinks and ditch this place?"

"And go where?" I wonder aloud.

He winks at me, "That's for me to know and for you to find out." He rises.

"Be right back."

I lean back and smile as I watch him walk away.

*

"What are your plans for Christmas?" Shane asks, jiggling the key in his front door.

"No idea. I just want a nice day with good food and quiet reading time." I shrug.

"You gonna come visit with me?"

"Depends," I set my cup of hot chocolate on his dresser and flop back onto his bed. "Is it cuddling weather?"

"I feel like you just use me for my warmth." He joins me.

"Why do you think I keep you around?" I tap his nose.

He chuckles and wraps an arm around my shoulders. "You know I'm kidding," I turn and nuzzle my face into his neck.

"Maybe," He smiles.

He turns his face, inches away from mine.

"Can I kiss you?"

I don't answer, but instead I lift my chin, letting his lips meet mine.

My heart beats a little faster and I pull him closer to me. His hair is so silky through my fingers.

His tongue slowly enters my mouth. My pulse really quickened up then.

Shane pulls away. "I'm sorry-" I shake my head. "I just, I've never done that before."

"Yeah I can tell," he chuckles. I blush.

"Just don't push as hard." He puts a hand behind my neck again.

I nod and press my lips to his again.

This time was more fragile, slow-paced, and wonderful.

"Better." Shane smiles at me.

"I'm sorry," I shy away.

"No, it's okay. We'll work on it." He kisses my forehead. I nod.

I get up and grab my hot chocolate, taking a sip as I lean on his desk.

"I'm uh, sorry you had to see me like that earlier."

"I used to have them. No judgement here if that's what you're worried about." I shrug, tracing my fingers across the lid of my drink.