Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter One

Chapter One

New York, Present day

Lucas Monteiro was a fast-rising entrepreneur. He became a threat to every wealthy businessman in New York when he assumed his duty as vice president of the Monteiro International Holdings Corporation.

Even more when he established an affiliate company, Monteiro Land Group Inc., an innovative American property development company.

Lucas started his passion in developing properties after he took over his family's business. When he made an oil refinery joint venture in Dubai, he was impressed at the country's amazing buildings, like the palm-shaped islands and the sail-shaped hotel. He wanted to bring to New York the same innovative designs and elegance of the said Arab country.

Lucas' achievements became a sensation. He acquired many foreclosed real estate properties like malls, hotels, condominiums, and other mortgage properties in New York and in different states. He developed the properties into very impressive and innovative skyscrapers with unique landscapes, hi-tech designed houses, very modern and elegant five-star hotels, and others.

Lucas was a hardworking young man. He worked eighteen hours a day. He seldom went out on dates and did not complicate his life with girlfriends or mistresses.

He stayed at the penthouse of the Monteiro International Holdings Corporation skyscraper, the tallest and the biggest in Manhattan New York.

Most often, Lucas travelled to different states, countries, and continents. He had his own helicopter at the top of their office building. When he was not so busy, he would fly the helicopter on his own. He was so confident about it, just like he was driving his car. He had his own private jet on standby at the company's own airport. He often flew his jet along with his co-pilot when he was travelling short distances, but in long distances, he would concede immediately and attend to other more important things.

***

At nine a.m., Lucas was already in his office, behind his mahogany desk, studying the monthly cost accounting report of Monteiro Steel Corporation.

What the fuck! His temper instantly rose as he observed some discrepancies between the materials and production cost reports.

Dammit! He called the finance department head, Mrs. Murphy.

Lucas had a type A personality. He was competitive, short-tempered, and impatient. He wanted everything to be organized and excellent especially with regards to his businesses and people working for him.

"Good morning, Mr. Monteiro." The middle-aged woman answered the phone happily. She was in a great mood that morning. She drove her new Mercedes convertible for the first time in the office. She bought it from her mid-year bonus, and she was so proud to show it off to her colleagues.

"Mrs. Murphy, I want you to send the internal auditors to the materials department. I noticed discrepancies in their reports. They're releasing massive hot coils and yet the production department produces lesser roof profiles. And what the hell! Where's the report for bended accessories? This is not a complete report! I want to know if they're using the excess coils in bended products. Is that clear? Don't forget to also get the percentage of wastage if there's any. Dammit! These people could be stealing the hot coils, cutting it into plain sheets, and selling it at the junk shops!"

"Yes sir. I'll...I'll have them audited immediately."

"If they can't justify these discrepancies, I swear, all of them in that department will be fired."

"Oh! Okay, sir." Mrs. Murphy's voice trembled. "A...um, is there anything else, sir?"

"Yes! Mrs. Murphy, your monthly cost accounting report showed a lot of adjusted entries. Tell your team to do their job very well. It's irritating to see lots of corrections in the report. Minimize it!"